broccoli sprouts

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
kitla
Legendary Laner

broccoli sprouts

Post by kitla »

I've been reading about the recently discovered health benefits of something called
sulforaphane which is found in Brussels, cabbage & broccoli, but most concentrated
in young sprouting broccoli.
It's being researched as a cancer preventative, anti-inflammatory, and probably
prevents or slows down the onset of arthritis. As an arthritis sufferer I'm very keen to
try something that may help slow the damage, I'll happily eat the broccoli while the
scientists work on the suppliments.
In pictures it looks like salad cress, has anyone tried this? I'm wondering if I'd just
get normal broccoli seeds as used in the veg patch?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: broccoli sprouts

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote:I'm wondering if I'd just
get normal broccoli seeds as used in the veg patch?

well in theory yes, but it might be cheaper to buy in bulk, and safer to use seeds specially for sprouting which are usually graded to avoid potential contamination (do you remember the deadly E.coli breakout from sprouting bean salad in France & Germany a couple of years ago?) and not forgetting some seed are treated with chemicals to prevent damping off.

Premier Seeds Direct on e-bay sell a variety of sprouting seeds (P&P only 49p) including sprouting broccoli from 40g for £1.09p to 400g weights for £6.35p- click on link (Premier Seeds Direct also sell on Amazon if you do not have an e-bay/PayPal account but for some reason P&P is more expensive)
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: broccoli sprouts

Post by kitla »

Thankyou very much for that info I shall have a look.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant