Tomatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Tomatoes

Post by Panteg Produce »

I've yet to find a main crop tomato with a flavour that I like.
I grow Sungold cherry tomatoes which I love , but looking for inspiration for a larger variety.So which do you grow and would recommend ?

:-D
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Tomatoes

Post by lancashire lass »

I grow tomatoes for cooking, and I find that each variety has their own flavour which gives a meal a unique taste. I don't like raw tomatoes (I can't explain it) so any I grow usually end up in a pan LOL It's a bit difficult to recommend a variety as my choices may differ to others

A few years back I grew San Marzano (plum type) which I really liked, but Inca F1 made a tasty plum tomato too - I can't decide which ones to grow this year.

Last year the beefsteaks were lovely - Brandywine, Black Russian, Marmande, Pantano Romanesco just to name a few .... I don't know if we'll get as good a summer as last year though which suited them best.

Bloody Butcher last year was the first to start ripening and very nice. As I'm half expecting a blight year, I think I'd like to grow some of these to get an early crop in
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I grow Roma and San Marzano and they are very good, for raw or cooking. Usually I grow Moneymakers as they crop well, last year I grew Shirley which also cropped well and tasted okay. I had Tigerella which I wasn't too impressed with, they look pretty and cropped okay but I found them rather uninspiring.

For cherry toms, I have grown Gardeners delight and they are very nice, Tumbling Tom (both ed and yellow varieties) are really nice.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Panteg Produce
Legendary Laner

Post by Panteg Produce »

Thanks , lots of food for thought there.

:-D
Live a simple life and be happy , Rich.