Picked the last of the apples today!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Picked the last of the apples today!

Post by fabindia »

We still had a few half decent apples left on the tree. Most have been pecked by the birds but I managed to salvage about half a dozen. Left the rest for the birds, the blackbirds particularly seem partial to them.

Apple crumble for tea tonight.

I have about 20 or so in storage, so may not be completely the end of last year's apples. Plus a bit of apple chutney left, and of course 50 pints of cider under the stairs.
Michael
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Picked the last of the apples today!

Post by lancashire lass »

gosh you have done well )t' I'm actually down to the last ones in store, and of course they are all a bit mealy looking as I've been picking out the best first. With having a rat problem, I raked up all the fallen damaged apples from the garden and took them to the allotment compost heap so the wild birds have not been so lucky this year.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We had a bumper crop. There are still some on the Granny Smith that I've not bothered to set up the high step-ladder for. People came from Freecycle to pick (at own risk), I've been giving them away at dance club, and there are still 3 large boxes of eater (3 types), a couple of wrinkled Bramleys, and a box of granny Smith which I use as cookers since they are not the same as the imported eaters but they keep better than Bramleys. Some in the freezer too, I try to cook 2 pies, 1 to eat, 1 for summer.
And the birds get some too - under the trees, in a pile near the hedge where I can see the fieldfares from the window, and a sack of too scruffy or too small that I'm keeping in our closed porch to give them if it snows.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

I've still got about 40 Bramleys left.
On a different note are we going to get any frosts as we have only had about 4 or 5 since well before Xmas? }hairout{
A little concerned that we will get some severe late frosts.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Most of those Granny Smiths have fallen off now - Must go and see if they're worth picking up tomorrow.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire