Heavy with blossom

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Heavy with blossom

Post by albertajune »

Our damson and plum trees are very heavy with blossom this year. There will be a natural blossom drop but providing we don't have those early strong winds, it should be a good year for fruit )t'
We are in the south, so hope this is the same for everyone, wherever you grow.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Heavy with blossom

Post by lancashire lass »

my fruit trees (plum, cherry and pear) are budding up and a teeny bit just starting to show but not fully opened yet. The late spring pink flowering cherry blossom (double blossom, not the ones grown for fruit) in other people's gardens or parks on the other hand are particularly spectacular at the moment. They always give a good display but the sheer volume of flowers looks like they are covered in a pale pink snow.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

We have been stunned by the sheer numbers of fruit trees here in Bulgaria, our first spring here. It can't be described really, all the hedgerows and along all the roads are thick with mulberry, plum, cherry, apple, pear and nuts, as well as the usual blackthorn and hawthorn. But in our garden we have apricot, plum, peach (stunning!) wild plum, pear, quince and apple. The walnut has big fat 'catkins'. Won't be doing much with the cherry plums, the neighbours use them for making rakia (hic) but the black plums make wonderful jam, apricots bottle well, as do the pears. Apples are used to make jellies and stewed down and frozen. Pears are just pears, yum. And quince we use for all sorts of jellies and they make an excellent tarte tatin.

So very exciting and a real picture the garden has been for a few weeks now.
Because my memory is not brilliant......http://debrazzaman.blogspot.com/
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Your garden sounds beautiful Tosca. You will be a very busy lady later this year if all your fruit trees crop well. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

tosca100 wrote:We have been stunned by the sheer numbers of fruit trees here in Bulgaria, our first spring here. It can't be described really, all the hedgerows and along all the roads are thick with mulberry, plum, cherry, apple, pear and nuts, as well as the usual blackthorn and hawthorn. But in our garden we have apricot, plum, peach (stunning!) wild plum, pear, quince and apple. **xThe walnut has big fat 'catkins'**. Won't be doing much with the cherry plums, the neighbours use them for making rakia (hic) but the black plums make wonderful jam, apricots bottle well, as do the pears. Apples are used to make jellies and stewed down and frozen. Pears are just pears, yum. And quince we use for all sorts of jellies and they make an excellent tarte tatin.

So very exciting and a real picture the garden has been for a few weeks now.

Sounds delightful, are you sure about the walnut tree?
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

That's what they look like from a distance! {rofwl} It's a tall tree but will get out with my little camera and take some snaps.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

This is what I thought looks like fat catkins......

But on closer inspection look more like mini brussels sprouts....

Most of the blossom has finished now. The apricot was first and soon after the cherry plums started on the roadside. This pic is at the beginning of flowering, it got to be totally white lined but the pics I took later were on a dark day and they were blurred.

One of three cherry plums in the garden

My favourite, peach

And the last one to flower is the pear, with walnut behind

Sorry, the photos do not do it justice, OH says the light is usually too strong for my camera. I should be more patient an take pics at the end of the day!
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Thanks for that.
It looks nothing like the one I am looking at.
tosca100
Lively Laner

Post by tosca100 »

Fresh walnuts were a revelation last year. The dogs are still finding them, as are the chickens.
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

In 50+ years, I do not think any one has had a walnut off this tree, the squirrels just plunder it every year as soon as the walnuts are green. {rofwl}
We do find some that have been buried in strange places.