Chick peas!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Mallard
Legendary Laner

Chick peas!

Post by Mallard »

I was having a bit of a cupboard clearout, when I came across a bag of son of morris dried chick peas, expiry date October 2011.
On the way to the bin I thought try planting a few, so now they're sprouting in cheap compost in my poly tunnel! )eat(
Never tried them fresh.
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money.
- Pablo Picasso
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Chick peas!

Post by lancashire lass »

I don't know if they'll give a good crop (something tells me they need a warmer climate) but you could have had sprouted chick peas and added to stir fries and salads. Do read this advice about what not to sprout and why article to be on the safe side )t'
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They wouldn't have gone in my bin. If they didn't have weevil frass filling the bag I would have used them. BB dates are just guesses in a lot of cases (I'd be more careful with things like meat though).

My view is
Best Before means -- might have lost a bit of flavour or vitamins
Use By ------- use by or be careful.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'd be really interested to know how you get on, Mallard. I've just done butter nut squash and pumpkin from ones I saved at the back end of last year - I'm never sure if they breed sterile ones or not, but it's always worth a go.
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

We grew some massive butternut squashes from seeds out of a supermarket squash, but I think it might have been an organic one to start with, which might have made a difference. That was before we moved north, of course... The vines take over the entire garden, given half a chance.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Freeranger wrote:I'd be really interested to know how you get on, Mallard. I've just done butter nut squash and pumpkin from ones I saved at the back end of last year - I'm never sure if they breed sterile ones or not, but it's always worth a go.

Aspasia wrote:We grew some massive butternut squashes from seeds out of a supermarket squash, but I think it might have been an organic one to start with, which might have made a difference. That was before we moved north, of course... The vines take over the entire garden, given half a chance.

The main possible problem with saving seed from any supermarket vegetable fruits is that you don't know if the seed were a hybrid F1 - as hybrids tend to be more vigorous and productive than open pollinated, most commercial growers would probably use those. The seed you save therefore are less likely to grow true to the fruit you bought. Sometimes it makes for interesting fruits, other times you might be disappointed. Unless you are a connoisseur with particular vegetables (chillies, peppers, tomatoes), then most likely it won't make much difference. Winter squash unfortunately when cross pollinated, can readily lose some of the subtle flavours and textures different to the parent fruit.

So, with regards to saving squash seed from your own garden - unless you grew an open pollinated variety, and protected the flowers from cross pollination, the chances are that pollination could come from other cucurbits (courgettes, summer and winter squash, pumpkins) Supermarket fruits are likely to have been grown in fields with just one crop eg pumpkin A so the chances are the second generation would be a pumpkin of sorts, but from your garden, the results could be anything ... again, either interesting looking fruits, but taste-wise may not be what you were expecting. I grow a lot of winter squash, and I would never dream of saving seed (instead, now that I have chickens, they get a feast )t' )
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Sorry, LL - I didn't see your response. I'll give it a go this year and see what happens, then you can say 'I told you so' when it's horrid. I need to sort out my garden big time so will invest in new seeds next year, I promise!