The Big Allotment Challenge - BBC2

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

The Big Allotment Challenge - BBC2

Post by Richard »

Thought I'd post this here rather than the TV Category.

First episode of 6 tonight at 8pm.

The reviews haven't been too good but I'm sure there will be a few things we can pick up on..

The Big Allotment Challenge

Richard >veg1<
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Re: The Big Allotment Challenge - BBC2

Post by fishpond »

Thought it was 8pm.
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yes, sorry !!

8pm
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The Guardian columnist doesn't think much of the idea.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think it's a shame that someone could go out early because of poor Radishes, even if they had some rip roaring Tomatoes which may come up in following weeks.

It's a hard call really, we want more home farming type programmes on TV., but getting the right mix is difficult.

Guess we have to try and watch it as a newbie. There again, if you don't grow Vegetables and make your own Chutneys, Jams etc., you wouldn't switch it on anyway.

I shall keep at it, I leant a few things last week.

Richard
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I've given up on it. I was hoping that as a newbie veggie grower I would learn a lot - but that isn't the case. I'd love to see a proper allotment-type programme. Most of the gardening programmes are a bit too fancy for me and I'd love to have a more down to earth programme to watch.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We were unimpressed with the first episode. Several years ago, there was a series on allotments, which was brilliant, all the old gardeners giving tips. We watch The Beechgrove Garden on a Sunday morning, nothing fancy on that.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Beechgrove Garden? That's a new one on me but if it's down to earth that's exactly what I would like.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Bea - The Beechgrove Garden BBC2 any time from 7.30 to 8.30 start. The times vary, and it is a half hour programme. )ot:
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I am very disappointed in this program. To me, it is just another show that is following the same format of the cooking and sewing ones. It would have been interesting to see the produce grown go through it's stages of growing and with a few added tips.

The last episode had a best runner beans competition, where the beans had to be straight, with little bean having been developed and with a good snap when broken. Part of the program was taken up with people trying all ways to get their beans straight. The contestants discarded those not suitable. With so much food being discarded generally, I thought this was unnecessary when people are being urged not to waste. They should learn that it's not what it looks like but what it tastes like. I do realise that perfect fruit and veg is the norm in competitions but this is an allotment show which will hopefully encourage the now non growers to grow in whatever space they have and appreciate what they grow, whatever its shape.

As you might guess, I found it all a bit silly, especially when one contestant wore very large showy jewellery and Fern Britton traipsed about in very tight white jeans.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.