Red onions eaten

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
mwilli252
Learner Laner

Red onions eaten

Post by mwilli252 »

I have a raised bed on my allotment and we have planted Red Onions, Shallots and Garlic in this space. A few days ago we noticed there was a hole in the soil that was made by an animal of some kind (about 3" wide) but we ignored it as none of the veggies had been touched. I went to the plot today and there are more holes of the same dimension and the whole batch of Red Onions has been demolished (eaten from what looks like below and the side). Whatever has done this has not touched the Shallots yet and I am hoping (I really want the Garlic to be OK) it has not eaten the Garlic.

Does anyone have a similar experience and if so did you find out what the culprit was and how did you deal with it?

Again, any assistance will be gratefully received.

Cheers
Martin
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Re: Red onions eaten

Post by Bridgets Mum »

No idea about the culprit but you have my sympathy. It's so frustrating when crops look promising and then get munched by some little beast. Good luck with the sleuthing.
mwilli252
Learner Laner

Post by mwilli252 »

Thanks Bridgets mum! Good luck with the "mouse hunt" as it sounds like you are having similar issues }hairout{
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Oh the pleasures of a wildlife friendly garden!
Over the years we've had moles where others complain about wormcasts in the lawn.
Spuds with rat's teeth marks in what was left of them (and holes alongside the stems of the plants).
Various seeds that we planted and never saw again, (mice?) or found hollowed out by creepy-crawlies.
This year it's pigeons and a bold rabbit - we are waiting impatiently for Pat-the-Cat to not need his scratch collar and take up his patrol duties again.

Hope you get some crops. I'm resigned to something getting nobbled each year, as long as there's something for us too.

Oh, some books recommend sowing peas with holly leaves to prick marauding noses. Is that worth a try?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi Martin,

Destroys you doesn't it, all that work, watching them grow, then.......... }hairout{

I maybe wrong but there seems to be more veg destroyers about this year, could be changing weather, thermal winds too low or whatever.
I've had what appears to be pigeons have my Mangetout and pecked off the top of Courgette Flowers.
I think I've repaired and prepared now, but sould destroying.

I think the best deterrent for invaders from above is to try and cover all the vegetables with mesh, the same around the sides with maybe metal mesh and sink it.
Spoils any attractiveness and makes more of a chore for weeding, but guess it helps.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I think some photos of the damage may be helpful to determine what it could be. I'll go on the lines that it sounds like mice, rats or rabbits rather than birds or slugs. You could try making the rest of your crops unappetising by sprinkling chilli pepper powder around (animals are sensitive to the capsaicin in chillies but not birds)
mwilli252
Learner Laner

Post by mwilli252 »

Hi all,

I managed to find the culprit, we had a mouse lodging in the raised bed so I have made efforts to remove him/her and it seems to have worked as no more damage. We have a problem with mice on the 2 allotments and one of our neighbours has had a good amount of his first earlies damaged by them. I agree we are seeing a lot more "pests" this year Richard as I have just returned from our second plot and one of the ladies on the site is moving her runner bean cage as she has had a muntjak level the whole crop, soul destroying as I know they were coming on really well.

Thanks for all the advice guys it is much appreciated

Martin