Scale on lemon tree

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Scale on lemon tree

Post by KarenE »

Hi everyone

I have a little lemon tree that I have had for about 3 years from a twig (you know what I mean) which i keep in my greenhouse. I brought it out for some sun a few weeks ago and noticed what i thought was soil on the leaves which I figured was dust from the chickens dust bathing in the greenhouse. Today I noticed ants on it and on closer inspection, scale. I assume the ants are attracted by the scale's sticky residue, and the soil (which won't wash off) is a sooty deposit/mould.

Any ideas for treatment? What are its chances?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Scale on lemon tree

Post by kitla »

Oh dear, my son grew an orange tree from a seed & unfortunately after a few years
of nurture and about 3ft tall the same thing happened, I couldn't clear it & ended up
throwing it away I'm afraid (and I promised we'd start again with a lemon tree, which
we never have!) Sorry not much help from me, but I've bumped your post.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Scale on lemon tree

Post by KarenE »

Thanks Kitla. I've squished it with a pesticide supposedly for scale amongst other pests, plus soapy water. I think I'm going to have to scrub them off, it's really quite infested. So frustrating, somehow the things came into the greenhouse in the winter }hairout{
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper