Vegetable Pests 2014 - More or less ?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Vegetable Pests 2014 - More or less ?

Post by Richard »

I've observed two big changes this year..

1. Black Fly

Normally I'm having a constant battle with them, especially on the Broad Beans and Runner Beans.
This year I've had one Broad Bean Plant attacked which I sorted straight away, other than that....zilch!!
I've put Nasturtiums around and about and they've had those, so guess the plan worked, but would have thought they'd still go for the Broad Beans especially.

2. Slugs

I've had hardly any ?

Other than that, we had Pigeons get to the Mangetout first sowing but that was my fault, didn't think to protect them.

Early days I know, but very unusual year thus far.

There's a Rabbit floating about and he or she had one or two Broad Beans. Other than sunk down fencing it all off, not much I can do, but it's only happened once.
Big Ron's always on the prowl for them, so it's possible he's had the culprit!

How are you finding things compared to most years?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Vegetable Pests 2014 - More or less ?

Post by lancashire lass »

My plot is at the bottom of the hill (next to an overgrown vacant plot) so tends to be moist and perfect for slugs and snails - numbers were very high both at the allotment and in the garden in spring. A combination of slug pellets and a warm dry spell has knocked them down a bit but we seem to be getting a lot of rain recently so have to keep on guard (normally once seedlings reach a certain stage, the plants more or less survive further attack except in a bad year)

Cabbage white butterflies - definitely not many this year. I'm sure they are just waiting for me to finish planting all my brassicas then they will test my defences!

Aphid - green and blackfly - do seem to be down a little. I've not seen that many ladybirds either. My broad beans did get some blackfly but (1) I jet sprayed them off with the hose and (2) waited until all the flowers had died and gave them a little spray with pyrethrum (a natural insecticide) - I don't usually use pesticides if I can help it as often the friendly insects succumb too, but this was an essential one off.

Asparagus beetle - has appeared on my asparagus }hairout{ The original reason for getting the pesticide (I got another brand that is more effective) ... it's impossible to see them as the larvae and beetles "hide" behind the stems when you are looking for them (I lie not!) and I'm not very good at crushing big bugs between my fingers

Birds - at the moment I'm not too sure if they are good or bad, but there's been loads on my plot this year. Sparrows, larks, blackbirds, magpies, pigeons - they've certainly feasted on the redcurrant and blueberries, and I'm still wondering what had nipped my mange tout seedlings ... I watched the pigeons but they ignored them, and nothing ate the seedlings after I had used the pesticide so I'm inclined to think it was insect rather than bird.

This year I'm growing my carrots in a tall (3ft high) container and so far the carrots have been blemish free. That doesn't really say if carrot fly are around or not but my plot location at the bottom of the hill is probably a hot spot and guaranteed.

Leek moth (plus allium miners and onion root fly) have got to infestation levels on my site - nearly everyone has a tale of lost onion, garlic and leeks this year. So, another crop that will soon be grown under netting.

With regards diseases - rust on the garlic is very high. So far, the onions seem fine. And touch wood, blight hasn't shown up yet so fingers crossed although we are going through a warm wet period at the moment (not good) I haven't grown main crop potatoes this year, but I was late planting the others - the salad spuds have at least another 4-5 weeks to go ....
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

No sign yet of actual veggie pests )t' but crows and other birds seem to be much multiplied this year. Everything is having to be netted, the first year ever.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Last year we had a wasps nest it full swing just where we were picking the soft fruit. This year I saw the first wasp in the house yesterday, and OH noticed a not v. active nest . So they seem later.
Potato blight is early and bad.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

I haven't seen many wasps Mo, loads of Bees :-D

Great concise reply lassie )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Post by Richard »

I saw a Rabbit around the Vegetables last week and thought it was that having the odd Broad Bean.

Then I saw the Pigeons hanging around, thought it was them.

This morning I noticed a couple more had been ripped apart.

I've just looked out the Office window and caught the Culprit in the act....

...it's a Magpie !

Richard >veg3<
WhiteWolf
Learner Laner

Post by WhiteWolf »

Just found out we have an ants nest in one of the compost bins in the garden {mr.angry}

WW {hog}
Every day I live with fear,,,,, sometimes she lets me out to play
Richard

Post by Richard »

Nothing worse WhiteWolf, especially if 1. they are red ones and 2. If you don't know they are there and put your hand into about 2,000 of them !!

But most bugs including ants have a purpose, if they're not destroying everything, they're pollinating and leaving them alone isn't a bad thing

Sunflowers are a good distraction, they love them and don't usually harm them.

Richard )t' )t'