winter planting

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

hi

have been reading about you all gonna grow garlic...just went online to buy some but there is so many varietys for autum planting

anyone know a good one to plant and one that will store when grown

thanks as this will be my first time growing garlic

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Have a look at this www.thegarlicfarm.co.uk they mention 3 types, the soft neck being long lasting.
Jackie xx
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

thanks chickenchaser

will do )t'

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

I've found another site :oops:

I'm making a habit of this today but they look quite cheap for garlic & other gardening stuff.

www.gardenxl.com. free delivery within 48 hours. )t'

Just click on bulbs.
Jackie xx
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

thanks jackie

looks like a great site and no p&p which is great because i looked at one site the garlic was £3.99 and p&p was £3.99 also for the amount of growing garlic i could have bought it off of the local market cheaper!!

the only problem is all the garlic is out of stock )de: grrrrr

thanks again tina xx
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

OMG I'm sorry. I was going to buy some from them as well.

My allotment shop is also out of stock so I think I will risk supermarket ones this year as I don't drive so can't get to a garden centre.

They were 25p per bulb so if it doesn't work I haven't lost anything.

Sorry again :oops: I should have checked.
Jackie xx
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

no no don,t worry ..thanks for showing me the site i usually use tommy and morgs but find their p&p is so high i have some autume planting onions on their way at the mo but again the p&p was as much as the onions themselves

i bought my winter pansies from them and have to say they were very good value 84 plug plants for £7.99 plus £3.99 p&p but still found that amount of plants for £12 not bad

Will not buy garlic from them though..at the weekend might drive by local garden centre as have to take little one to a kids party nearby

thanks for your help

tina xx
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I planted garlic from the organic veg box a couple of years ago. It was fantastic.

Last year I bought garlic specially for growing from W1lkinson. It was pants. Really small bulbs. Could've been the weather I suppose!

It'll be supermarket or farmers' market stuff this year!
There's no cure for stupidity.
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I bought some organic garlic from son of morris yesterday!

I will be putting them into pots outside!

Do i have to do anything special with them?

They are already filled with compost, do they need to be planted anyway up?? I am supposing you seperate the segments and plant that way??? confused> confused> )hlp>

Damn i am so thick LOL :oops:

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

No you're not Stace, I'm new to this as well. )t'

If you break the bulbs into cloves and plant them, hopefully you will get full bulbs next year and you can plant some of them again next Autumn. (f+

They root from the bottom (flat) end the same as they were in the bulb.

The circle of life is a wonderful thing (I love the Lion King) LOL
Jackie xx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Growing garlic tip - dig in some manure and some bonemeal (or fish, blood & bone), plant the clove (so that the tip is barely showing, and add a mulch of manure on top. This should give the clove enough food right through until ready for harvesting June/July/August (depends on the variety you've got - for supermarket stuff, wait until it shows signs of dying back, lift up and let it dry out thoroughly (such as a shelf in the greenhouse)) Supermarket garlic doesn't always do so well, but sometimes you will get a surprise (a lot may depend on the weather)