Identification please

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Identification please

Post by jemberelli »

Hi all, today we took the dog for a walk and there are oodles of trees with plum-type fruits on in varying states of ripeness. They were small for plums but I am a complete novice and have no idea what they might be!

Thanks in advance!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Identification please

Post by Totally Scrambled »

It's a bit difficult to tell without a close up but they could be damsons or if they have crinkly bums they could be quince.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

No wrinkly bums so will go with damsons, thank you very much Dom! Might have to go back with a nice big bag next time!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I wonder if they are suckers from the rootstock of some plum, or seedlings from stones.
So not a recognised variety, but 'suck it and see'.
We have a lot of suckers come up in the orchard. Most get mowed out - but one grew quite tall in the shrubbery so OH turned it into a tree. The nearest tree to it is a Cambridge gage (really nice greengage). The sucker has lots of little greengages on but though you could eat them the texture and flavour doesn't compare with the real tree (which I keep expecting to die - half of the trunk is hollow from where we cut a diseased branch off).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

A while back I noticed a tree in my local park where I walked the dog every single day for many years had burst into golden yellow fruit. The foliage was long and slender and not very plum like but did have that distinctive serrated edge and pointed tip of the Prunus genus, and the fruits were slightly bigger than cherry size which the birds did not take (unlike my cherry trees at home). After much discussion with fellow gardeners, we couldn't decide whether it was a Cherry Plum, Shiro or Mirabelles but they were certainly edible and tasty.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

definitely look like a type of plum. Could they be bullaces? They are a wild plum damson type of thing, and can come in yellows as well as the more typical purply colours.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper