How can i stop cats "going" on my garden

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
chickentina
Legendary Laner

How can i stop cats "going" on my garden

Post by chickentina »

yesterday i planted winter pansies and wall flowers in my front garden.

During this time i stood in two lots of cat poo that had been "done" on the shingle part of the garden where we park the car.

Then today i noticed that two of my newly planted pansies had been dug up and sh*t on ...i was furious, i do love cats infact i like cats better than dogs..but i don,t own one and it really make me mad when i have spent all day on the garden then this happens

Any one any ideas where i can keep cats off the garden

Any suggestions will be greatly apprieciated

thanks in advance

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I have a sort of Cat Zapper. It sends out an invisible beam and when a cat crosses it the device emits a high pitched screech which only the cat can hear.

Cat then legs it as fast as it can.

Needs to be in situ for only a couple of days - cats seem to get the message quite quickly. You then turn the zapper off and bring it into the house.

I need to put mine out for two days about every four months - got mine from BeeAndQueue and it cost around £20.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Hi Tina

I bought some Cat Repellent granules from a company called Growing Success when we started to let out kitten out. He was a devil for pooing in my planters on the patio. )de: They are basically plant oils (citrus I think) on a clay type granule base.

The granules did work but had to be applied every few days (more often if it rained). After a few weeks, he seemed to get the hint and went elsewhere (probably the neighbours garden :oops: ) I think it would have been an expensive option if it was for a large area.

Lucy x
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Orange peel is supposed to be a good to put in your borders as cats don't like the smell, similar thing to the oils that Lucy used :-D
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

thanks guys

nellie i had one of those cat zapper things a couple of years ago and so did my neighbour...it might not be the same as yours but we could actually hear this high pitched droneing noise ...it drove us made and was so sensitive a bird flying by would set it off

hi lucy

will look into buying these citrus granules sound like a good idea as my front garden beds are only small

thanks to you both again

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I think i posted this in another thread somewhere!

Try Soap powder!

Cats hate the smell, my jack started using the gravel outside the back door!

I spirinkled some B.O.L.D. down for a few days he never goes there now!

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

thanks stace

to me thats sounds a good frugal idea...will defo try

don,t think i will do just now though its throwing it down here and might get a bit throthy!!!!!

thanks tina xxx
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I've got clear plastic bottles filled with water out the front, don't know if it's them that keeps them off, or whether because they're in the way and they can't dig. They definitely don't like scraping away at manure though, so all the cow-poo'd beds are fine.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
wendy

Post by wendy »

My brother uses something called Roar. It is dried lion's poop. That keeps them off.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Some years ago and with a different garden (I've given up now) I bought some natural cat repelent in a granular form.. I sprinkled it liberally over my flowerbeds (front garden!)and went in feeling all pleased with myself for about half an hour.. until it started raining and this whiff of garlic drifted into the house.. The 'whiff' turned into a strong cloud and was so bad that I went outside to try and figure out where it was comming from.. I honestly thought some overenthusiastic cook had crushed a sackfull of the stuff..
But nay, twas the cat repelent.. the wetter it got the stronger the smell, it didnt keep the cats away but it kept us and our neighbours away from the gardens for days!!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I have a serious cat AND fox problem at the allotment )de: They wait until the soil is nicely tilled over and then destroy the beds - had half my onions up (through digging, so I know it's not the birds), and the nice neat rows of sowed carrot seed were scattered everywhere. It would cost a fortune buying repellants and fancy electronic gizmos for the allotments - so I use old expanding/retractable trellissing (usually gone past its best) and open it over the bed, and plant/sow through that. It's been successful so far, but ... the fox can be pretty determined if I've raked in some chicken manure. As soon as the plants have germinated and become established, the trellising is lifted up & moved onto another bed (I have several trellises protecting beds)
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

yesterday sprinkled the said area with lavender washing powder ..as well as smelling lovely..so far so good no sign of the cat!!!! also looked like a christmas scene (snow)

thanks for all your help and replies

tina xx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

See my last Diary Entry (last couple of paragraph's !!)

Some of the longer standing members know about this from last year !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome