Sundried tomatoes? Advice, please

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Sundried tomatoes? Advice, please

Post by Spreckly »

We have a good crop of tomatoes this year, normally they get used for chutney, but we have several jars untouched from last year. I once saw Monty Don talking about sun drying them, and wonder if any Laners have done this, and if so, how have they done it?
manda

Re: Sundried tomatoes? Advice, please

Post by manda »

I've done this...I used normal tomatoes but I would like to try it again and used something like Roma (not done that yet).
You can skin them or not....I did with some and others I didn't ...if I'm honest I think I preferred the ones that I skinned.
Cut them in half and if they are a type that has lots of seeds de-seed...if they're a variety that doesn't then you don't need to. The you can slice them again so you have thick slices.

If you've got a dehydrator great (take anything from 4-8 hours) - if not in the oven 150 degrees F (65 degrees C or gas mark 1)....you don't these the lowest setting you have....it takes around 10-20 hours (obviously the thicker the tomatoes the longer)...you would be safe leaving them on a very low heat over night.
Put them on trays and sprinkle with kosher salt - I put some with garlic salt and tried different spices...I preferred the ones with just salt if I'm honest..and when I do it again I won't bother doing anything else.

They shrink to about a quarter of the size and when they're done they're kind of flexible like a raisin not brittle.
I tried in the dehydrator but did the bulk in the oven because I had a lot to do.

You can put them in zip lock bags and then put them in the freezer...so if you have a lot you can freeze them and they will keep for 9-12months...you can put them in oil ...but I think it's better to freeze and then if you want them in oil put them in just a little while before you're going to use them...but only because they won't keep as long in oil.

It's really easy to do just time consuming...I'd say go for it Spreckly )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Oh, thanks Manda for the information. Our tomatoes are tiny, so won't be easy to skin them. Normally we freeze what we don't use for chutney, or eat, but the thought of dried tomatoes was quite mouth watering.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Hi there , this is a really easy way to do. It and works every time .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/ovend ... toes_72380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jackie x
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have dried them in oven but do remember that a lot of tomatoes were needed to make it worth while doing. They were good to eat but were a different texture to the ones that I buy.

Looking at Jackie's link, I might have another go )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.