Growing outdoor Vegetables through Winter

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Growing outdoor Vegetables through Winter

Post by Richard »

Does anyone grow anything?

I tried starting Broad Beans in late Autumn a couple of times but to be honest, the finished result was maybe a couple of weeks earlier than if I'd have sown them in Spring.

I've heard Spring Cabbage can be a good bet as long as you protect them with mesh cover etc.

Be interesting to hear of anyone whose had success's, always seems a bit of a shame to leave land dormant for 6 months or so. There again, gives the soil a rest (and our bodies) I suppose..

Thanks, Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Growing outdoor Vegetables through Winter

Post by Totally Scrambled »

If you have the space and access to manure etc. you can grow things out of season by making a hotbed, topping with soil and covering with a transparent frame.
The heat of the rotting material is kept in by the frame and provides all the heat needed to grow things in the colder months.
It's ecofriendly as it provides heat without using electrity etc. and when finished with you have a pile of compost to spread elsewhere in the garden.
We used them when I was a kid on the farm but I haven't used them myself since.
Just a thought that might interest you all.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thanks Dom, I've enough compost heaps both on purpose and otherwise all over the place here.

I'll read up on that a bit more.

Richard >veg<
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

No reason why you can't turn a compost heap into a hotbed, all you have to do is add the right materials to it and away you go.
Used to start the farm ones up just after Christmas and when the crop was harvested, which was about the time the bed was cooling, they were used as cold frames. By the time Autumn came around they were turned out and spread on the veg and flower beds.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

This is interesting, but I consulted with my hens and they would prefer to free range all over the garden and do their bug=clearing act through the winter. They've been restricted all through the spring/summer
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

1. I grow broad beans which this year in particular the autumn ones were far nicer and bigger than the spring ones.c

2. Garlic .

3. Winter onions red and white. Again this year better than the spring planted ones.

4 . Last but not least and most important I grow perpetual spinach and chard all through the year for my chickens, it keeps them in green stuff all through the year . Great green veg makes happy chickens and yummy eggs )like(
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

If you want vegetables for winter use or early spring, usually you have to plant them in spring and grow on in the summer - such as cabbage (winter), broccoli (spring cropping), brussel sprouts, swede - as they have to mature before it starts to get cold in autumn. I have all of the above on the plot at the moment.

I will only grow autumn planted garlic over winter. In the past I've tried and done very well with autumn sown broad beans but it was a one off and most other sowings have been killed off by extreme cold weather or lashed by gale force winds despite being under cloches so I don't bother. As regards autumn planted onions, they do well but if we get a wet spring (remember 2012) then the bulbs just don't get a chance to die off and split plus a high risk of onion rot so that is another crop I just don't bother with.
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

It's my birthday in October and I have asked for Charles Dowding's book on growing winter vegetables. I can't wait!
When (if) I become an expert I will come on here and share my wisdom (lol!!!!!!!!!!!) {rofwl}