Leeks - only planted out today - oops

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
p.penn

Leeks - only planted out today - oops

Post by p.penn »

I have just realised that I forgot to plant my leeks out in July :oops: - I have just transferred them to tubs today - making the hole and just putting them in and watering - not covering with soil. (like i usually do in july)

As it is going to be frosty for a bit I have stuck a fleece over the pots - do you think they will be ok? confused>
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I have planted stuff at times not recommended, and its a case of 'suck it and see' sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I would think the fleece will help protect them from the very cold weather.

I planted leeks earlier this year and a couple came up then all disappeared, very odd!
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Thanks for reminding me - I've got some holding in a pot I forgot!

I doubt you'll get much growth but space is not at a premium at this time of year so give it a go.

Leeks are very hardy but the fleece may help them actually grow even if it is a bit brass monkeys
Author of the top selling book 'Vegetable Growing Month by Month' Click Here to View
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Apparently some people grow the leeks for the greens and deliberately sow late - have to say I prefer the more tender white bit. You won't get much over winter (they'll be like a mild spring onion!) but come spring they may pick up quite dramatically. Just watch out when they go to seed (that is, throw up a flower head) If nothing else, I've heard leek flowers look very pretty and you can collect the seed later :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks everyone! Well they are in their pots now - they looked lke small bulbous spring onions when I planted them but hopefully they will do something over the winter!!

I will add them to soup in the spring!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com