Help in identifying fruit

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Help in identifying fruit

Post by albertajune »

I received these photos today from my sister. She ordered through the post an apricot tree but this is the result. Definitely not an apricot but no idea what!
I know that some of you Laners are very knowledgeable with fruit growing so hope someone can give at least some idea what it might be.

To me it looks like the little cherry plum but I have only seen fully grown tree, such as

Any other thoughts?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Help in identifying fruit

Post by KarenE »

I was thinking exactly the same as you June - it looks like a plum of sorts, I would have said cherry plum too. And it could be grown on dwarf rootstock, that would explain the small size of it.

It's the wrong colour for an apricot, but it could be a hybrid variety. Have you tasted the fruit?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I haven't tasted the fruit as sis lives nowhere near me. She sent the pics as she is so baffled. The texture looks like plum but she says the taste isn't the same. The bottom pic is of a tree near us and the fruit is much sweeter than an ordinary plum.
I think that she should send the photos back to the grower.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We found that more trees were mislabelled than not (well, almost).
Have had 2 Victorias Plums that should have been a Czar (third time lucky by buying a container grown tree with fruit on) 1 Merryweather damson that should have been a Greengage, 1 James grieve apple that should have been a Russet.
To make it worse we already had 2 Vics, 2 JG (old and new) and a hedgeful of damsons.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire