Dismal Cucumbers!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Dismal Cucumbers!

Post by KathJ »

Well I don't know what's happened to our cucumber >veg4< crop this year. We've had great sucess over the past few years with so many we haven't know what to do with them. Even our girls >ch< got fed up with them. We grow them in the greenhouse with the tomato's >veg5< and even though the plants are going great guns and look really healthy with loads of flowers we've only had about three cucumber's actually big enough to eat. Maybe it's been a lack of sun this year >dum<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Dismal Cucumbers!

Post by lancashire lass »

It's not really been a good year for tender summer crops, and it's highly possible lack of sunlight may have contributed. Some cucumber varieties don't produce fruits until earlier set ones are taken off even though there are plenty of flowers, or high / low temperatures (day / night) may also be causing problems. Are these all female (greenhouse type that don't need pollinating) or outdoor ones? Some varieties might need help with pollination. It's obvious you have successfully grown them before so I'm inclined to go along with the weather being responsible.