Another potato question

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Another potato question

Post by Freeranger »

Um, slightly embarrassed :oops: but found another one down behind the fridge - an escapee from the veg tray on top.

It's trying really hard to reproduce, and has grown nodules over its surface - about 8 of them, each with roots and some now growing leaves. It looks as though it would make a few individual plants. The original tuber is looking a bit wrinkly.

Do I:
a) chuck it? (seems a waste)
b) plant it as a one-er? (think I'll get a few plants close together)
c) divide it into 8?

If I divide it, do I pull each one off the main, or do I cut the main one to feed each individual nodule? In either case, do I need to dry the surface before I plant?

Thank you for any advice.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: Another potato question

Post by Trev62 »

How about just throwing it into a bucket/tub full of soil and seeing what comes up or as its a spud, what grows down! Nothing to lose and you will just love the excitement of not knowing what to expect!! :-D

I know I have said it before but we should really get out a bit more!!! :-D
"Not all those who wander are lost"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Personally - I'd chuck it LOL Now is not a good time to plant mid-winter.

If you did plant the potato, you could first of all break off the green shoots that are longer than an inch (this won't harm it, it'll grow new ones), put the tuber into a big pot as the roots need room to spread, and somewhere "cool" (that is, well above freezing but not above 10oC as this will encourage rapid growth - we really do not have the light levels to support a plant at this time of year)

The compost / soil should be just moist (too wet and the tuber will rot)

As for leaving it as one plant or several pieces - normally you'd leave it as one (the carbohydrate in store will feed the growing plant and roots until it can photosynthesize and support itself) During WW2, to increase a crop, it was practice to cut the potato into pieces with an "eye" (which is the juvenile sprout) - into 2-4 pieces depending on potato size. Leave the cut ends to air dry before planting (or dust with a fungicide - a sulphur or copper based one though not sure if these are available any more due to EU regulations) - this prevents any bacteria or fungal spores from getting into the tuber)

In spring, you'll need to acclimatise it to the outside (protect from wind and sun scorch as well as any late frost which will kill off the foliage, unless you keep it in a greenhouse) When it is growing, look after it much like a tomato plant - keep well watered (but not soaking and avoid water on the leaves), feed with tomato feed, needs full sun.

To me it just seems too much time, effort and expense on an escapee spud.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Thanks, both for your replies.

Trev, you make me smile - you're right. I need to get out more. Or just do things which aren't important instead of looking at them from all ways up. A little bit of understanding is sometimes less help than knowing nothing, because you keep trying to second guess yourself.

LL, thanks for the detailed answer. It almost certainly seems stupid to you, but I get a bit sentimental. If it's trying so hard to grow, I don't want to be the one that stops it! I think I'll give it a go. Who knows? I might learn something.