Potato farm!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
willson11
Learner Laner

Potato farm!

Post by willson11 »

Hi all,
I’m planning to start a potato farm. I bought a land near my house and have plans to start the farm there. I bought the materials needed for it. And I’m thinking of constructing a garage for storing the materials.

For this, I have heard that pre-engineered steel buildings are being used. But since, I don’t know much about it. I would like to know more about it in detail. How much cost does it take to set up?

Thank you.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Potato farm!

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not sure of the cost of steel buildings, but we do a lot of roofing work for The Crown via an agent and they usually use either brick barns with galvanised sheeting on the roof or galvanised sheets for the whole building. Have heard the tenant farmers say that they have to be kept at a specific temp and in the dark. The galv sheeting round here is about £40 for a 10 x 4' sheet, if that's any help. We do get good prices from our suppliers, so price may vary especially different areas of the country.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Potato farm!

Post by lancashire lass »

hi Wilson and welcome

willson11 wrote:For this, I have heard that pre-engineered steel buildings are being used. But since, I don’t know much about it. I would like to know more about it in detail. How much cost does it take to set up?

To be honest, I wouldn't know anything about the commercial aspect of farming and costs.

As the link is to a US company, it might also help to know your location - are you in the UK or in the USA?