olive tree

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

olive tree

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I have a olive tree . Full of olives . Green getting bigger all the time .
Question is can I eat them . When , what do I do with them .
Never had this problem as pigeons eat them before they get big enough.
Bob
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: olive tree

Post by lancashire lass »

I'm not a lover of olives so is not my expertise but I did know someone in Italy who grew olive trees on a commercial scale (after they had enough oil for their own use, the rest of the harvest went for sale) Olives are usually cured - they would use lye (sodium hydroxide) As a lab technician, the thought of using sodium hydroxide in food is a little scary if you don't know what you are doing! After googling, I found this link - it is a Wikihow site so quite knowledgeable.

Curing olives is an ancient process that turns the naturally bitter fruit into a deliciously salty, tart snack. Choose a curing method that works best for the type of olive you have. Water curing, brining, dry curing and lye curing each yield distinctly different flavors and textures. Curing olives takes a long time, but doing it yourself allows you to make olives catered to your exact taste.

Prep time (in water): 7-10 days

The different methods can be found on that link.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Thank you sounds like a bit of work .
Maybe the flock can eat them .....
Best season I have had of olives and pretty big as well. Not sure whenb to pick them off . Time , colour , size ?????
Do not like waste things that grow free. Still gathering bags of wheat from the fields in the evenings . Wet seed go straight to the flock and dry ears are de seeded and put in the food bin .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , well I picked a plastic container half full , added salt and water . Salt sank to bottom ? Now just to add taste I have added green chilli`s and some red chilli`s. Sealed and will leave for 10 days . Then I will drain and take the lot to work and offer to the chaps at work.
Not sure what I will be told .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Here is an up date , my olives that I salted with chilli`s did not go down to well , in fact they was advised to throw away. I have actually eaten some and would not say they are the same as shop ones.
I have now picked BLACK ones not sure what I will do with these . Give them to someone else to CURE .......
Well any more developments and will certainly reply . Thank you for the entertainment of watching the peoples expressions .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maybe our climate just doesn't grow them the same. I know that apples from the Granny Smith apple tree I have aren't the same as shop ones, though they keep well so I cook them once the Bramleys are useless.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob will speak later but in meantime do not click on above post
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
wendy

Post by wendy »

They are banned Sandy, and post deleted.
Thanks for reporting )t'
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning