Just harvested

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Just harvested

Post by Dorrens daughter »

More apples and pears now I need to work out what to do with them to preserve them for the lean months of winter. I 've made loads of jam this year but fancy trying something else, any ideas?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Just harvested

Post by Mo »

My apples keep in a cool porch. The Bramleys into new year if I check them regularly and remove any rotters. Pears all go at once so I stew & freeze.
Drying and juicing seem like a lot of work for little result.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Thanks Mo, I've never had much luck storing apples even in an unheated flat 16floors up, looks like I'll be making blackberry and apple jam ....again but it gets eaten. May just eat the pears. Thanks again
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Cider or perry :-D

If you wrap the apples individually in newspaper and then store in a coolish place, they will keep for a surprisingly long time (if they have no bruises or blemishes on them). You could try apple sauce or a variety of chutneys. Fruit butters. I like to cook & freeze or eat & when I get fed up of crumbles, I try tarte tatin, apple flapjacks or Dorset apple cake. And you could use in mincemeat ready for Christmas
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Thanks Karen, five jars of apple and blackberry jam cooling in the kitchen now to process the rest of the apples into pie fillings to be frozen for future use.