Best veg to plant in autumn?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

I am currently converting the bottom of my garden into a small veggie patch. I would like lots of advice on the best veg to start planting in sept/oct. I have plenty of manure via the chickens so thats a start!

Thanks
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Spring cabbage
Japanese onion sets
Broad beans
These all 'overwinter'
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

You can get cauli and swede that will overwinter too. I'm trying those out this year. Leaf beet seems happy any time of year.
There's no cure for stupidity.
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

November is the traditional time to plant garlic. I find it does better planted in the autumn rather than leaving it to the spring.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I thought the overwintering cauli had to be planted in spring. When I've grown it, it has been in the ground for a year, then they all come at once even the sucessional sowings
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

The caulis I planted in early spring are ready now although I wasn't expecting them until later.

I've been using this website for ideas:
http://www.allotment.org.uk/garden_month/garden-august.php
There's no cure for stupidity.
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Usefeful website heebiejeebie :)
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Didnt I read on here somewhere to be carefull about using chicken manure as its very strong? I think it may have to be diluted... was it Richard who had the bad experience? :?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

another overwintering crop is purple sprouting brocolli, but the seeds should have been sown by early-mid summer.

Mine are a bit late this year because a rogue snail munched its way through all my brassica seedlings during the heavy rains in June/July. So at the allotment I have 6 rather small brocolli from a later sowing, plus 2 that I managed to rescue, 1 kohl rabi and 1 savoy cabbage (another winter crop). Lean times ahead for me!
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

sorry, but I've only planted in the spring so far. What does over wintering mean??
Small steps lead to big changes
ged
Lively Laner

the garden farm

Post by ged »

:mrgreen:
Hi Morph,
'over-wintering are your crops that will endure thru winter months and give you a harvest in spring when traditionaly you would have little to harvest!There are now some good all year round crops that you just keep planting and harvesting on a regular basis.If you have a conservatory you can have tomatoes all year!
hope this helps,
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

ooooooo like it!!

So, what can I plant then to give me some nice food in the spring!?
Small steps lead to big changes
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

forgot to mention, leeks, parnsips and swede are also okay over winter. Chard and lambs lettuce too.

However, a lot of the overwintered crops need a long growing time before maturity, so are normally sown in spring & early summer for that winter/following year. And cold winter frosts actually make things like parsnips taste nicer too. :-D

If its mild enough in Autumn (although this Monday 17th Sept was a bit on the cold side!), there's no harm trying to sow short growing season veg like lettuce (check the variety 1st - perhaps something like a cut & come again variety) & radish outside, or as Ged says, if you have a greenhouse you can extend the growing season of many veg! I think you can sow a number of green leaf veg about now for harvesting as and when over winter, although I think the fresh growth in spring is when they come into their own.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

ged

Re tomatoes

Does the conservatory have to be heated at night? We have a woodburner in there during the day but not during the night.
Thanks Anna
ged
Lively Laner

veg

Post by ged »

:mrgreen:
Hi Anna,
You need cool weather tomatoes,ie heirloom varieties that will grow in cool climates,it should make no difference if there is no heat at night."Legend" is probably the best but may be hard to source in the UK.
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.