Slug Census?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

We've got absolutely loads of slugs and snails - one of the main reasons why I acquired the chooks, to eat them!!!
My entire veg garden has been decimated, my runner beans (grown up copper pipes, to discourage the said molluscs), my squashes, my strawberries, everything.
Its very disheartening!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi
Been decimated by the slugs? or the chickens.
I have no slugs now, but also had no garden ! I had to build them a large run in the end .
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

slugs
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Slugs and snails

Post by PetHeaven »

Yes we get a lot of snails - its so bad at night after rain that you cant walk down the front path without crunching on them-yuk and the car drives over loads of them-still this means I have toads and thrushes -so I can live with that. Slugs are a problem, my chickens loved them, but we have a lot, I buy plants that are not so attractive to slugs, and then I only have to concentrate on those flowers that they seem to like-I hate picking them off by hand the slime really sticks to your fingers! Have we had more this year? Well not that I really noticed-I'm sure other years have been worse.
When is a chicken not a chicken?....when its a battery hen!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

melons
Legendary Laner

slugs

Post by melons »

I can put your mind at rest, I've got them...all of them, one of my girls goes bonkers when she finds one, she runs off with it advertising the fact & the others all chase her, it's like a Benny Hill sketch, I end up having to take it off her in the end, it goes on for ever, it's ever so funny to watch.......
but just eat it love :idea:

The seem to be really well buried this year, I found loads in an old tree stump I moved, like hoo hoo grubs, they're huge :shock:
Cheers
mel x
purplelady
Learner Laner

Post by purplelady »

We've got loads of slugs & snails, the main reason for getting chickens, now the chickens eat the plants instead. (f+ .
Chickens love snails & small slugs, but pretend they can't see the enormous giants we keep finding. :?
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...after the rain yesterday, we had loads of snails!!!! Dont know if the ladies partook of the snail-fest, Im hoping that they did!!!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Slug Census?

Post by AnnaB »

Went to wake the girls up this am, along the path were 2 big slugs mating (I think they roll round and round each other?) I had to do the right thing and went and got the scissors......that will be less for next year.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...scissors?? Didnt you squish 'em with your foot??
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Slug Census?

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Geddauk

I have these garden clogs which are OK for snails but I'm going back to bed and do not want to wash my feet first!!!
sharon
Learner Laner

Post by sharon »

it seems that many of you in old blighty have witnessed a down turn in slug population this year.
thats probably because 14, million of them are in my garden!
xxxxxxxxxxx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I took a load over there on my Day Trip !!!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome