Storing cooking apples

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Storing cooking apples

Post by Gwenoakes »

Hi ya - How do you store cooking apples please? We have several apple trees and last year quite a few of them were wasted as I didnt know how to 'keep' them. Thanks
derra
Lively Laner

Post by derra »

Hi. I used this last year and plan to do the same this. Learnt it off my Nan. Pick over the apples, the nearer to perfection the better. Wrap individually in newspaper. Layer them in a wooden (more like plywood now) vege box. As each layer is complete put a lay of newspaper over the top. Place box in a cool, dry, dark place. Occasionaly check the apples throughout the winter to make sure they are not rotting. Failing that freeze them. Best of luck
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I grow lots of apples and I do much the same.

I sort them into about 5 grades
5. Use or give away TODAY
4. Damaged, used SOON
3. badly scabbed or v. slight cracks use NEXT
2. Marked or scabby skins.
1. Good

I put them in small boxes, but don't wrap them as that slows down the checking process, which I do regularly.

The books say cool them (e.g. by standing them outside overnight after picking) then keep them in a cool, frost-free place, e.g. apple-loft. I used to keep them in the garage, which was OK till a really hard frost, then they rotted quicker, so needed more checking.
But then the mice found them.
Now I keep them in the porch, so it's difficult to get them all in and still have room to open the door!

You can cook them and freeze the puree in tubs.