Snails

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I've got leopard slugs, which apparently don't eat plants but eat snails - how good is that :-D

I have noticed a reduction in snails since the slug numbers have gone up.

cheers
Jodi
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

Oh wow Jodi I've heard of them, but I was beginning to think they were a myth as I've never seen one!!
It's great when nature does the work for you!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Shhhhh!! someone over here will think it's a good idea, and import them.
Then discover what else they eat, or what the snag was, when it's too late.
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I didn't know what they were, but not long after there arrival, about 3 yrs ago - my mum was here one night when 2 of them were having an "intimate moment" on a wall in the fernery, and she had seen a documentary on them, so knew what they were.

That night, I sat up and watched this incredible display for about 2 hours (not trying to sound perverted or anything :oops: ) but they make a goey blob then both hang of a slimey thread and curl up together appearing like it is one giant slug, in a whirling spiral pattern. The thread flouresces, but also appears to have a blood supply running through it. When they are finished, one will make it's way back up the thread and clean it up - only leaving the "blob".

It's the most incredible scene, and they are a really beautiful little creature, glad to have them here :-D

cheers
Jodi