Thai 7 Spice Pork & Noodles

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Thai 7 Spice Pork & Noodles

Post by lancashire lass »

I bought some Thai 7 Spice a while back and it had been sitting on my spice rack looking important but sadly unused. I wasn't really sure what to do with it. Anyhow, I had some pork loin steaks and was undecided what to do with them ... as much as I like Chinese 5 Spice, it has such a distinctive flavour which I have to be in the mood for. A finger dip into the Thai spice and I was coming up with some possibilities of what to do with it. So here's my version of Thai 7 Spice Pork & Noodles:

Ingredients:

Pork loin steaks, sliced or diced
Thai 7 Spice (quantity to suit taste - I probably had equivalent of a teaspoon)
Onion, diced
Sliced (mixed) peppers, fresh or frozen
Celery stalk, finely diced
1-2 cloves garlic (more, or less depending on your taste - I tend to use a lot generally)
Tin tomatoes, chopped
Small tin pineapple in juice (if in rings, slice into smaller pieces)
Noodles (I had fine egg noodles)

Method:

Seal the pork in a frying pan in a little oil, add the Thai 7 Spice (quantity was very much guess work - starting off with half a teaspoon, taste, a bit more, taste and so on .... I should warn that when warmed up, the spice has an unexpected but pleasant chilli heat) Then the onion and pepper to soften. Add the tin tomatoes, celery, garlic and pineapple (with juice) - at this stage, I did another taste and added more spice. Then I popped the noodles in as well to cook and absorb some of the juices (I'm all for putting everything into one pan - saves dirtying lots of pans) Bring to boil and simmer until cooked (15-20 minutes) You can reduce it down a bit if you want but I quite liked it as a sort of spicy noodle soup.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Thai 7 Spice Pork & Noodles

Post by Linda S »

Sounds good I think I will give it a go next time I'm shopping I will look for the spice blend )like(
I might be able to eat it if it can be made quite mild
I'm a bit of a wuss with chill'is and currys etc and even have to doctor a korma or even that can make me ill, it's a good job I'm not mad keen on them.
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
wendy

Post by wendy »

Sounds lovely.
Always good to experiment.
I am vegetarian myself. But will look out for thai 7 spice
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Linda S wrote:I'm a bit of a wuss with chillis and currys etc and even have to doctor a korma or even that can make me ill, it's a good job I'm not mad keen on them

Oh, maybe you shouldn't try the spice if you can't tolerate a korma - it does have quite a bit of chilli in it ...

Schwartz website - Thai 7 Spice

Our THAI 7 SPICE SEASONING is expertly blended with 7 classic spices, chilli powder and lemon peel to give you a taste of Asia.

Ingredients

Salt, Chilli Powder (12%)(Chilli Pepper, Cumin, Salt, Oregano, Garlic), Dried Garlic, Dried Onion, Flavourings, Ground Coriander Seed (6%), Ground Ginger (6%), Dried Lemon Peel (5%), Sugar, Ground Cumin, Dried Chillies (4%), Ground Cinnamon (Cassia), Star Anise (2%), White Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Dried Jalapeno Chillies, Ground Green Peppercorn.

Usage Tips

Sprinkle over sliced chicken breasts, or pork and mixed stir fry vegetables towards the end of cooking.

1½ tsp = 2 servings

Shake well before use.
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks for that LL I do currys etc for Tommy and our Jodie and our grandson Ethan he is 3 on the 26 of this month and he can eat anything and loves currys from the take aways be it Chinese or indian. :-D
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you