Veganism

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mad Chick

Re: Veganism

Post by Mad Chick »

foghornleghorn2 wrote:Why do companies who make veggie food strive to make their products look like meat. Quorn for example make "bacon" and "sausage" products but they make them look like real bacon and sausage, surely if you don't like eating dead animals then you don't want your food looking like a dead animal :?

I've often wondered the same thing.

Hubs was veggie for years (20+) but started eating fish a couple of years ago. He has now started eating chicken but still prefers to be meat free if given the option. We use a lot of quorn in our cooking and as a meat eater myself, I prefer quorn to mince in most things. I also use the sausages for sausage casseroles in the winter, yummy )lck(

A friend of mine has been brought up veggie so has never eaten meat. She decided some years ago to turn vegan and replaced all cheese and milk products with soya based ones. She had a rather strange side effect... she got really randy, so much so that it was waking her up in the night. Unfortunately she was single so nobody reaped the benefits of this :oops: She asked her doctor about it who said that it was a noted but not particularly common effect of soya. Weird huh? :razz:

Lucy x
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Soya can make people randy? {hug&kiss}

Good grief! {rofwl}
wendy

Post by wendy »

I had better stop giving the b**ger it then :shock:
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

That's where I went wrong - I fed him meat! :shock:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

Aha..now I get it. This explains a lot, I wondered why so many people were turning vegan. )t'

It would also explain why that bloke mentioned earlier in this thread lost a lot of weight. 8)
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I think I'm going to get hubs back on the veggie thing - he could do with a bit of soya )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Mine's on soya milk, but I can't say I've noticed the difference :?
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

FHLH, silly though it may sound, he wanted to lose all that weight so he could go horse riding. And thats the absolute truth. I didnt know about the other side of it though. I must ask his wife.
The above statement sounds awfully rude, but its not meant to . :oops:
Now hes lost two and a half stone, hes allowed on a horse which is smaller than a shire horse. {rofwl} This same bloke is also into scuba diving. Dont know it thats significant though.
I`ll stop now before I dig the hole any deeper,l shall I? You might feel tempted to push me in. sile} )w(
lorna and mr lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
faye
Learner Laner

Post by faye »

hi,

i've been vegan for about 17 years now (am 40 years old now). i was vegetarian for about a year, and then went vegan because i simply do not want to be a part of what goes on when animals are used to produce animal products for people. i enjoyed the taste of meat, egg, milk etc. but the thought of eating any of it because it tasted nice just wouldn't happen because i am so against the methods used to get these. in the first year i missed cheese the most but luckily i like some of the vegan cheeses (some are awful and like rubber) - i like the 'scheese' brand, a real treat though because it is high in fat {warn} my friend tried it and thought it was horrible :razz:

i make lovely quick meals and eat healthy most of the time, although i could certainly eat lots of vegan icecream, cake, crisps, sausages and pies, etc. and get overweight - i've had vegan sausage/vegan cheese sandwiches for breakfast, so not healthy!!!!

i feel that if everyone makes a choice to do eat something a little more animal friendly (be vegan, or be veggie or change to free-range organic meats and eggs, etc) it all adds up to making life better for animals, and often the choice we make leads to other good choices. veganism is a big change and seen as extreme to some people, but then there are people more extreme than me like those who eat a raw food diet and fruitarianism which must take a lot of motivation and willpower which i admire.

i say hoorah to anyone who tries in some way to make life better for animals ))sun

faye x
faye (and hens ayam, asna, kuku, galina and pollo)
www.pawprintsanimalrescue.co.uk
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

foghornleghorn2, i have no idea why they make it look like bacon. all it needs to be is flat so that it goes on a bit of bread nice with an egg. the sausages need to be shaped to go in the sausage buns for hot dogs, although i suppose they could make them flat like a pattie to go on bread with a nice egg. A lot about food is the presentation, maybe thats why?
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

spudley, I agree that it has to be a shape that appeals to the consumer but quorn bacon is designed to mirror bacon, I just don't get it :?

Slightly )ot: has anyone tried this

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-loc ... _400g.html

My parents went through a veggie phase and we used to get this for dinner at home every now and again, it was quite tasty. Might have to go and get a tin and revisit my youth :-D
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have no problem with my food looking like dead animals, because I know it isn't. I don't buy fake bacon because I don't like the taste of bacon anyway, but I will buy the other quorn and veggie burgers etc. If it says on the packet meat free, suitable for vegetarians, that's good enough for me. )eat( There is not a lot of choice regarding the shape of the food, it's got to be either flat or round to grill or fry, or in bits to add to stews. I'm not sure what other shapes they could make it.

Ilona
faye
Learner Laner

Post by faye »

foghornleghorn2 wrote:I have a question, a bit )ot: but not much.

Why do companies who make veggie food strive to make their products look like meat. Quorn for example make "bacon" and "sausage" products but they make them look like real bacon and sausage, surely if you don't like eating dead animals then you don't want your food looking like a dead animal :?

Genuine question.

maybe to tempt meat eaters over to vegetarian/vegan food by making it look similar to sausage etc?? confused>
faye (and hens ayam, asna, kuku, galina and pollo)
www.pawprintsanimalrescue.co.uk
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

If I decided to be a veggie I would want to eat.... vegetables. I don't think I could eat processed meat subsitutes as I try to avoid processed stuff. I don't quite understand how processed meat stuff is considered so unhealthy but processed soya etc is fine confused>
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
echelon
Longlasting Laner

Post by echelon »

Well, darn it, I'm a total failure!

My vegan experience is as follows:

I went out and bought some oat milk, vegan cheese, chocolate and tofu )c+

Cut out all dairy and meat over the next few days.

The oat milk started off okay - tasted unpleasant, but was tolerable - until I started feeling sick.....the sickness persisted, but I coped okay, gritted my teeth and continued drinking it.

Then came the tofu. I made it properly, but after about 2 hours of eating it the abdominal pain started. I'm so daft I didn't realise that tofu is made out of soya and I can't eat much soya because it gives me really bad abdo pains

So, there was me feeling sick and having constant abdo pain. Never mind, I thought, it's all in a good cause.

The chocolate tasted greasy and horrible and the vegan cheese was so bad I had to spit it out into the sink sile}

The hens haven't been laying due to being in moult, so I actually went out into the garden and begged them to lay me an egg! I figured that as long as I didn't actually buy any eggs I would be okay eating my own hen's eggs because I know that they're well cared for.

I then started dreaming (yes, actually dreaming) about dairy food! Yoghurts, dozens of them all lining the supermarket shelves, all flavours!

I got up the next day and had a bowl of cornflakes with some skimmed cows milk :? It felt so good, so I had another one. Within about 2 hours my abdominal pain and sickness had gone.

I just don't think I can cope with being a vegan. It's just so hard and painful and I just can't contemplate life without cheese and milk.

I have been worrying about how the dairy industry treats its cattle though so I am feeling bad about this. I suppose being a vegetarian is reasonable, but what's the point when a person can't go all the way and become vegan? I mean, all those dairy cattle being in pain and ending up going to slaughter, without going vegan it all seems so futile.

Dunno what to do now {cry}