Other species of Meat

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Yes I have to agree that because something is free range and plentiful - doesn't make eating it right, especially when it hasn't been killed humanely!!
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

When I'd gone 'travelling' in my youth I was away with the faeries at the time and tried raw squid. Jeez if ever there was a reason to stop eating meat... YUK! I was veggie then too at the time. As I said I was away with the faeries![/quote][/quote]

I like squid, I haven’t tried raw but not sure that I’d do it unless it was straight from the sea. A lot of stuff that’s minutes out of the water is delicious (obviously not to folk who don’t eat it). Mackerel is particularly fabulous if it’s grilled seconds from landing (obviously it’s got to be killed and gutted first. Who hasn’t eaten a raw pea picked straight from the pod? My particular favourite is baby spring onions or radishes washed and consumed within seconds. :-D
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

Squirrel.. we should be eating grey squirrels if we are into eating meat - they are vermin - but tasty apparently. I'd give eating squirrel a go if I could get it. Rabbit - yum. Got all soppy about that when I was a kid, but if you eat meat, then it's often a 'cultural' thing as to what is acceptable meat.
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

saint-spoon wrote: Mackerel is particularly fabulous if it’s grilled seconds from landing (obviously it’s got to be killed and gutted first. Who hasn’t eaten a raw pea picked straight from the pod? My particular favourite is baby spring onions or radishes washed and consumed within seconds. :-D

Eyemouth Ladies' Sea Angling Champion 1979 )j;

The only way to have mackerel, unless smoked, is to have it straight from the sea, gutted (caught it, gutted it, cleaned it, cooked it myself) cleaned, and then whacked under a grill until cooked. It is wonderful like that. After having it that fresh I never buy it over the counter - it really isn't the same.

Squid... anything with tentacles does not sit well in my stomach.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

the killing of dogs and cats is pretty barbaric. In some places they are put, still alive in boiling water. In other places they beaten as this is supposed to add to the flavour!

We have some squirrels in the garden which, when she was alive, my dog would kill, now we have got to try shooting. I don't know if I could be bother to skin etc. My daughter has some receipes for squirrel in her gun magazine, it is getting quite popular.

I think rabbit is better than pheasant.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

misty wrote:We have some squirrels in the garden which, when she was alive, her places they beaten as this is supposed to add to the flavour!my dog would kill, now we have got to try shooting. I don't know if I could be bother to skin etc. My daughter has some receipes for squirrel in her gun magazine, it is getting quite popular.

I think rabbit is better than pheasant.

Not a huge fan of pheasant myself, always tastes half rotten to me but I believe that this is what it is supposed to taste like.
I was reading the other day that the rapid decline of our native red squirrel was mainly to do with the popularity of squirrel pie in the poorer areas of London, the greys simply slotted into place and wiped out the remaining population. Although it’s obvious that the greys are bad news for our native flora and fauna, we must take some responsibility for introducing them in the first place (possibly to feed the demand for squirrel meat) and secondly for over harvesting them the reds in the first place.
We were lucky enough to see a red squirrel a couple of years back, sat in a beer garden in Shanklin (Isle of Wight). They are really Ah.
:)
Bah Humbug
jaylay30
Learner Laner

Post by jaylay30 »

I'd give squirel a go. It is supposed to be very nice. There was a program on tv not so long ago where some guy would only eat meat if it was road kill as he didnt like the idea that an animal was killed for meat but was happy if it was an accident. He showed his freezer and it had the usual pheasant, rabbit and venison in it but he also had a badger in it. On the program they held a party and servered squirrel wraps. Everyone seems disappointed when they were told it was squirrel as they all liked it but said they werent keen that it was squirrel.
Thanks.

Jerry
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Blurgh!!!!

sile} yike*
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Jayjay, that bloke lives in kent, near me, and he has just started a project where he is living in the woods for a year! and only living of the land so to speak, he is using all the frozen road kills and i imagine he will need to find more, and he wants to make all his clothes out of the skins left over!

it was in my local gazette last week, he will be doing a blog can't remember the web add, but if i find i will post here!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

i had buffalo steak many many years ago(prior to opening my eyes to the way all animals are reared and treated), i got if from t***o, it was lovely tasting and very tender, never seen it since.

littlefeat
at home with 1 dog, 2 rats, 3 rabbits, 6 fish, 4 cats, 8 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

I've had ostrich before now. YUM
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Yeah, me too, I've had Ostrich - totally disgusting!! Mind you, I believe it had been marinated in some gunky stuff, so maybe it was that..... :razz:
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

littlefeat wrote:i had buffalo steak many many years ago(prior to opening my eyes to the way all animals are reared and treated), i got if from t***o, it was lovely tasting and very tender, never seen it since.

littlefeat

I had buffalo steak in Vancouver in the early nineties, very tender if I remember correctly. A couple of months after that I nearly got into a fight with a guy who was boating about the enormous bull dolphin he’d caught whilst fishing (Florida); fortunately it was explained to me that it was a dolphin fish which I subsequently tried. It’s a bit like fish really.
Bah Humbug
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

jaylay30 wrote: On the program they held a party and servered squirrel wraps. Everyone seems disappointed when they were told it was squirrel as they all liked it but said they werent keen that it was squirrel.

Grey squirrels are only rats with bushy tails and good PR.
Bah Humbug
jaylay30
Learner Laner

Post by jaylay30 »

lou wrote:Jayjay, that bloke lives in kent, near me, and he has just started a project where he is living in the woods for a year! and only living of the land so to speak, he is using all the frozen road kills and i imagine he will need to find more, and he wants to make all his clothes out of the skins left over!

it was in my local gazette last week, he will be doing a blog can't remember the web add, but if i find i will post here!

Sounds likes hes been eating too many of those "special" mushrooms!
Thanks.

Jerry