Other species of Meat

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Other species of Meat

Post by Richard »

I hope Morph doesn't mind, but I took the words from the Squirrel thread in Pets and Nature's Visitors, thinking it could be good discussion......

Morph
Have seen some squirrels for sale in a farm shop - they've been making it on some chef TV programmes as well.

What are people's thoughts??? Haven't eaten any myself (pre-veggie)
Last edited by Richard on 20 Nov 2007, 20:31, edited 2 times in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Post by Richard »

I haven't had Squirrel myself.

When Australia played at Canterbury, Chef made Kangeroo Burgers which went down well apparently.

I guess there are animals which we just don't see as 'acceptable' or have written them off simply as being unedible etc.

I know the Services are trained to eat all sorts of things.

Interesting topic.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

No bother at all Richard!

If I was still a carnivore......hmmmm.......I would probably try it, but it would depend on if it was humanely caught, rather than people having a laugh at its expense.

I've tried kangaroo Richard (pre-veggie), aswell as ostrich, wild boar, and snails (ugh!!)
Small steps lead to big changes
Richard

Post by Richard »

Chef told me he's also done Ostrich and if you cook it just right, it's very good.
I've had Wild Boar, the one with most memory was in the Tuscan Countryside close to my, then, father-in-laws house.

I wouldn't go near a snail, just the thought, like Oysters and Mussels.
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I saw the guy from F word (not Gordon, the food critic guy) take cooked squirrel out to the public for a try - from memory, I don't think anyone liked it. My OH will eat Kangaroo if its on a menu, I won't try it and would definitely not cook it.

Snails are OK - ate them on a cruise ship so maybe I'd been sitting in the bar all day, not sure if I'd give them another go.

I'd have a go at crocodile - only seems fair, it would eat me given half a chance.

Bon apetite
Jodi
wendy

Post by wendy »

I have eaten snails, a long time ago. But really could only taste the garlic butter.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

snails dont seem that weird, but i havent had them.
i hate oysters!!
i dont think ive had anything weird though - i certainly dont have anything against eating unusual meats but as im not a big meat eater in general it just hasnt really come up.
my OH has ostrich once and he really didnt like it at all. maybe it wasnt cooked right.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I had crocodile whilst in South Africa - tastes like fishy chicken!!!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

All I can say is BBBLLLUURRRGGGHHHHH!! mum cooked rabbit once when we were kids...we found out and she never tried such a mean trick again. poor bunnies. (f+
Looove chucks!
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

I like rabbit pie! I'm sure squirrel would be OK if cooked appropriately...
I had reindeer once on a work trip to Bergen ages and ages ago. Lovely.
There's no cure for stupidity.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I had some pretty unusual stuff during a work trip to Japan in the early nineties, sheep brain soup for one. Actually quite tasty but I think that the quantities of Sake helped. They do some really interesting pickled vegetables and rice based soups as well as the more famous sushi (far to expensive for me at the time) Couldn’t bring myself to eat scorpion though. There were anti-nuclear campaigners on the jetty so we handed out save the whale pamphlets. In case your wondering I could not and would not even consider eating whale, it’s just plain barbaric.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've never tried anything so adventurous apart from rabbit, which used to be common on the family menu not that long ago (also ox-tail, tripe (yuk!), cow heel pie (sticky!) and pigs trotters!) . I might try squirrel as a taster, possibly kangaroo and ostrich, but I mentally seem to draw a line at snail, bugs, frog, horse, rat, cat, dog ..... I also don't think I would particularly want to eat something that was carnivorous such as crocodile.
Gixer
Lively Laner

Post by Gixer »

I would give it a try given the oppertunity! If we kill an animal down here then no part of it goes to waste, the bones are bolied to make stock or given as tucker to the dogs, all the offal is used, even the brain and eyes are usued to make fritters if its a sheep.

(Fritters are a Falklanders way of using up left overs, a bit like bubble & squeak, only we make up a big batch of batter chuck everything in it and shallow fry a plate load of fritters, is you make them right they should be exactly the size of a side plate!)

I love reindeer, we have herd here that was brought up from South Georgia, I like to casserole it in red wine yumm!

The only thing I would refuse to eat is horse, cat or dog although I think people eat horse in France? and in China they eat cats and dogs dont they :cry:
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

There was a thing on the news a few months back about the president of one of the eastern nations, Thailand or Cambodia I think, urging his nation to eat more dog meat as the cities were being over run with the animals. Obviously there was outcry by various animal rights movements but I’m not sure what the outcome of their protest was. If I remember correctly the reason that eating dog had fallen from cultural favour was due to the influx of tourism dollars and the inevitable establishment of multi national junk food emporiums. Don’t fancy eating it myself but on the plus side it’ll be free, free range and plentiful. The down side being that it’s probably far from organic, it’s got big teeth and it can't be that nice to eat if folk are turning to 100% pure mechanically reclaimed beef products in the first place.

I had reindeer once, I think that it was in Finland although it was a long time ago so it's hard to be sure. Tripe is definately something to give a wide bearth
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Don’t fancy eating it myself but on the plus side it’ll be free, free range and plentiful. The down side being that it’s probably far from organic, it’s got big teeth

...also I understand its not exactly humane. In Korea its eaten bit by bit. Please, someone if this has changed put me right.

When I'd gone 'travelling' in my youth I was away with the faeries at the time and tried raw squid. Jeez if ever there was a reason to stop eating meat... YUK! I was veggie then too at the time. As I said I was away with the faeries![/quote]
Chucky Egg