Other species of Meat

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Jerry - very odd man indeed, didn't see the program just remember reading about it in the paper....well each to their own!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

He's 'Fergus the Forager'. He was featured on a Documentary a couple of years back when he wanted to sell road kill and 'other delights' from a Pub in Sandwich.
The Council would only allow certain things. I recall Badger Burgers being declined.

Knowing the area, there was some TV Licence involved though.

But, who knows, after all, the Armed Services are trained to live off the Land and will eat almost anything.

Often it's just knowing what the thing is we're eating looks like or just don't associate mice etc. with food.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wafflycat

Post by wafflycat »

Richard wrote:
But, who knows, after all, the Armed Services are trained to live off the Land and will eat almost anything.

Often it's just knowing what the thing is we're eating looks like or just don't associate mice etc. with food.

I had an uncle who had been a Japanese prisoner of war in WWII. Thanks to him I know rats are edible - and to be reasonably sure of remaining ok, you only eat the legs.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Richard wrote:

Yikes that's news to me...
I was only ever trained (forced through hunger) to eat what was knocked up in the galley. Come to think of it the association with food was often lost and it was sometimes difficult to gauge what you were actually eating; not so long back rabbit was often passed off as chicken, stewing steak as prime fillet, powdered milk as fresh etc. I don’t think that any of it is organic, that is unless organic is described as being the absolute bargain cheapy range of produce. It’s not the chefs fault, they are given a pittance to feed the troops, quite a bit less per day than life long prison inmates. Saying that there are always two choices, take it or leave it, which is fair enough if you consider that there are some folk who don’t get the choice. Another bonus is that always lose weight when I go to sea, and that can’t be bad. )t'
Bah Humbug
jaylay30
Learner Laner

Post by jaylay30 »

Ive often been told that my Grandad once shot a Fox and decided to cook it and feed it to his dogs. But never completed cooking it because the smell was unbearable.
Thanks.

Jerry
Allotment Lady
Learner Laner

Post by Allotment Lady »

I have had Kangaroo steaks in Australia - best not to over cook them or they go tough.

Goat meat quite a few times when I stayed on a farmstead in New Zealand, who bred the goats for their mohair, meat, and milk - fantastic meals we had from the meat.

I dress any game bird or rabbits that I can get in the winter and they are lovely - a lot depends on the cooking of 'other' meats.

Soon I will be having quail - my own - for meat - but only because of the surplus of males you get when incubating them.
You can see my bantams, quail, allotment, recipes, and so much more here
http://kooringa.com