Roasting chestnuts

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
melons
Legendary Laner

Roasting chestnuts

Post by melons »

Why oh why have mine all just exploded like bombs in the oven LOL
I am the world worst cook, admittedly sile} things I cook often have to go straight in the bin without ever seeing a plate )j; but... this can't be rocket science can it, they have all exploded & absolutely covered the oven in a mash consistency mess & when I say covered, I mean covered, & the mat in front of the oven as I opened the door, what am I doing wrong this time?????

This is my Christmas dinner I'm cooking to take with me, so I'm not the pain in the backside veggie everyone dreads, good job i've started it early )j; )eat( )b( )pty )sh
Cheers
mel x
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I believe you have to split the skin otherwise like a baked potato in a microwave that hasn't been stabbed to death beforehand, it will build up steam and explode .... not that I have ever roasted a chestnut in my life! Someone else may know better.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, that's the answer.
Grandad used to spend Christmas day, sat in front of the fire, roasting chestnuts in the ashes, and peeling them for everyone. He was kept so busy that he never got any himself!
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

What a lovely vision Mo!
We use a skewer to pierce a hole in the shell. That does the trick. We also learned from experience. It was b***y funny though! )t'
Chucky Egg
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

Cheers folks, I managed to scrape it off everything & scrub the oven out, what a flammin mess )j; Lets see what round two brings )j;
Cheers
mel x
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yep.
My Dad used to cut a cross in them, and then on the fire. I have never roasted one in my life. Don't like them cooked.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Last year I bought an antique brass chestnut roaster, it sits in the log burner beautifully and keeps all the bits in plus any errant explosive ones. I cant say that I really like them , but Hey! it is christmas! A time of indulgences and strange tastes!
The Colonel is now beautifully corn fed and I'm sure he is getting bigger, and , no we are not fattening him up for xmas )hlp> (f+ .
He just looks splendid in his christmas plumage. )t( .
Looove chucks!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...HMM, not had good experiences with chestnuts myself - used to eat them a lot, until one winter, whilst at my Grandmas, i was blissfully munching away on 'em (uncooked) and I got a rather bitter taste - yup, you've guessed it, found half a maggot in there! (Obviously, Id scoffed the first half!!)
On closer inspection on the floor, there were absolutely loads of maggots! Must have been a bad batch, but I dont go near them now!
However, I would agree with everyone else, and say prick 'em!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
melons
Legendary Laner

Post by melons »

sile} That ahppened to me with a bag of Pistacios nuts & a raspberry once, yoik, I've never eaten either since sile}
Cheers
mel x
WILDCHERRY
Learner Laner

Castanas Fiesta

Post by WILDCHERRY »

In the little Spanish hill village where I live in there are lots of very old chestnut trees and at the beginning of November they hold a Castanas (Chestnut) Fiesta. The school children pick the Chestnuts in the day. In the evening the locals light fires out in the street (on the floor) and roast the chestnuts in long handled skillet like pans, then pass them around to bystanders. Its a lovely night out and a very old tradition here. Saves the mess in the oven too!
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

Wildcherry that sounds beautiful. Helps with comunity bonding.
Chucky Egg