Fruit Mince Tarts

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Fruit Mince Tarts

Post by TassieDev »

Thought I'd share the yummy fruit mince tart recipe I made. I know it's too late for christmas, but they're good enough to eat any time, and you probably need to do something with all that dried fruit you bought :)

Fruit Mince Tarts (Makes 20)

375g dried mixed fruit *mine had Sultanas, Seeded Raisins, Currants, Mixed Peel and Glace Cherries*
3/4 cup brown sugar
Rind and juice of half a small lemon *I just used the juice as my mixed dried fruit already included mixed peel - also I feel you could use less juice than this*
Rind and juice of half a small orange *as above with lemon, depending on how juicy your orange is!*
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
50g butter, melted
1/3 cup brandy
"1/2 packet" frozen shortcrust pastry *I used 2 sheets of ready rolled pastry*
a few Tbsp milk
icing sugar to sprinkle on

Method:
Coarsely chop the fruit *mine was already in small bits in the packet so i didnt chop it!*
Place fruit in heatproof dish. Stir in sugar, rind *if using* and juice, spices, brandy and melted butter. *I don't see why you couldnt put the melted butter in later myself, as it just went hard in the fridge for me - I DID leave it in overnight though*
Cover and microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Remove and set aside for 5 minutes (or until cool enough to put in fridge). Chill 2-3 hours. *I left mine in overnight*
Preheat oven to 180C. Use a biscuit cutter to cut out round bases and xmas tree shapes for top.
*I just used the triangly bits left over from cutting out the round bits for the top I didnt make Xmas trees!*
Press bases into non-stick pie pans *I used those paper cupcake ones as I didnt have a muffin tin or anything*
Fill bases with mixture and place tree shape on top. Brush with milk. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned and sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.
YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

It sounds yummy. If you don't have a microwave do you know how long you cook it on an oven ring? I'm a bit thickwith cooking now a days so it might jsut be you re warming it all together? :oops:
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

hmmm yes i'd say it's definitely just to meld the flavours through, so maybe just on the lowest heat for a couple of minutes, stirring, and then let it sit in the warm pot for the 5 minutes.

i think from memory you soak fruit for a lot longer if you were making something like a christmas cake so i think the heating bit is just to accelerate the brandy etc getting into the fruit.

mmmmmmmmmm i would make some more, but it's really hot here today Blah!!!!!
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Fruit Mince Tarts

Post by AnnaB »

Tassie

If they're good then don't save them for a certain time in the year!!
chucky egg
Longlasting Laner

Post by chucky egg »

That's my aim! I couldn't see my family over xmas and mom is a great cook. So the mince pices will help ease this!
:-D Thanks for the respnse TassiDev!