creamy squash & chilli soup

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

It was a "throw anything into the pot" day so can't say its the family recipe, but it included a chopped up winter squash with some chopped onion, frozen peas, frozen broad beans, chopped red pepper, frozen sweetcorn, a bit of ground pepper, some water (it is after all a soup!) .... and a finely chopped chilli pepper. When the squash had got to that mushy stage to give a thick texture as you stirred it, I just added some cream and it was absolutely amazing and so more-ish!

Of course I had to make it again (I'm still ploughing through my squash & marrow harvest so they tend to be on the menu at least once if not twice a week!) but this time added chopped ham from the christmas fare. Very nice.

If anyone else can give me tips on what else I can do with squash and marrow that is different, it would be most appreciated - I've tried it roasted, boiled & mashed with pepper & butter, chopped up in soups & stews with other veg. I like the idea of using spices - I might try out Thai spice with coconut .... ^b:
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hiya.
I have put on a squash and tomato dish which is lovely. Have a look for it. I think it is on this thread.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Hi lancashire lass

I have a load of tomato and squash soup in the freezer. It was so cost effective as the squash was enormous and cost £1, tomatoes free from the garden.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Hi Wendy, I found the recipe in the health & fitness section - with herbs & cheese! Mmmmmm. Sounds great. I'll certainly give it a try (I went a bit overboard with buying different cheeses over the Christmas so need to get through those as well.... :oops: ) As for tomatoes, one of the drawers in the freezer is still half full from last year's harvest (I freeze them whole so they roll about like snooker balls, and just pop what I need into a pan and when cooked, lift out the skins which fall off whole) Thanks everyone :-D
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I tried the squash & tomato soup last night - I had to make a few subtle changes (the chives in the garden had died back and I had none frozen or dried - something I must remember to do this year!) but it was DELICIOUS! )lck( Thank you!