organic free-range

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
wafflycat

organic free-range

Post by wafflycat »

Had an organic free-range chicken last night. It turned out to be the biggest boned, lowest meat content bird I've had for a long time. Only two meals out of this one rather than three. Bah!

Digressing - I've found that the time I'm most likely to be able to buy an organic and/or free-range bird from a supermarket seems to be late morning on a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Thursdays, Fridays & weekends are proving to be impossible days to get such a bird.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I agree, we've been finding it difficult too! We've been going without and been having organic pork chops instead!! )c+
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Our co op had a big sign outside the door today with a picture of lovely free range chickens, they only have free range eggs now. :-D (f+ :-D (f+ :-D
Looove chucks!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Hoorah for the Co-op!! (which, incidentally, spells 'coop' without the thingy in the middle!!! )j; )j; )j; )
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's a problem with free range sometimes.

The indoor farmed birds are so overfed and watery that there's usually more meat on them, but as said, watery meat.

The Supermarkets have reallt got to get their act together, they must have seen it coming.

I sometimes suspect that running out means they think that many will simply buy the cheap option and things may return to how it was before.
They could be seeing it as just a whim, a fashion which will go away.

But, we're all doing a pretty good job of avoiding that situation!

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

My sentiment entirely Richard, on the overfed birds and the supermarkets.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
TassieDev
Longlasting Laner

Post by TassieDev »

i havent really eaten non-free range chicken (as i used to be vegetarian before they were available) so i cant directly compare BUT i did notice a bird we got from our neighbour which was VERY free ranging was as you describe, but a LOT more flavour than a supermarket free-range (not organic) chicken. it actually tasted 'chickeny' rather than tasting of not a lot really, which to me the free-range supermarket chickens taste.

Makes me suspicious as to how much ranging those supermarket ones do! )de:
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

organic free-range

Post by AnnaB »

A lot of the birds are large as they have had water pumped into the flesh to increase the weight.

It has also been reported that pork has been injected into chicken to again increase weight. I dread to think about the people who do not eat pork and have unknowingly ate it via chicken.