Sandwiches

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Sandwiches

Post by Meanqueen »

Having to do my pack up every day now, I am getting a bit bored with the same old cheese sandwiches. Sandwich fillers from the supermarket are far too expensive so I have come up with a few ideas of my own.
Take half a tin of chick peas, rinse the salt off and drain. Mash them up in a bowl, a fork is easiest, add chopped fresh spinach, and a chopped raw mushroom. Add a squirt of garlic puree, splash of toasted sesame seed oil (lovely nutty flavour), splash of lemon juice, mix into a firm but spreadable consistancy. Will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. It's lovely on those brown grainy bread rolls.
I'm going to try some more using different types of canned beans. You could add any leafy veg, herbs and spices of your choice, tomato puree, cream cheese, peas or sweetcorn, tuna fish, any chopped up salad items. I have just made some with honey and mustard dressing for tomorrow.
Another idea I am going to try is to make up some mixture and make burger shapes out of it and grill it. Home made veggie burgers, at least you know what is in it.
Look at the time, up at 5.30am
Ilona
)w(
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

mmmm the chickpea thing sounds like Houmous...lovely!!!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
wendy

Post by wendy »

That sounds lovely I will give that a try.
I love beetroot and horseradish sandwiches.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I love beetroot, especially the homegrown and cooked yourself variety.
Somebody else said that chick peas make humous, I didn't know that.
Todays sandwiches were, mashed adzuki beans, chopped spring onions, wild garlic leaves, and prawns, sprinkle of olive oil. Lovely.
Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You really should include some of your ideas on your website Ilona - it's very niche.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Hi Ilona

All of that sounds lovely! Hoummous is made of chickpeas, oil, tahini paste, lemon and garlic - you should give it a try.

I always like a dip / spread made of chickpeas, coriander, cumin, garlic and quark whizzed up in the food processor - it's lovely with carrot sticks and on jacket spuds!!

I find a nice sandwich filling is falafel - chickpeas, garlic, leaf coriander and some garlic, with a bit of bicarb - then roast them in the oven - lovely on pitta bread with wild garlic!!

Not that I'm obsessed with chickpeas or anything!!

BTW - I was thinking of the wild garlic season last night - is it here!!!!????
Small steps lead to big changes
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Morph
Your recipes sound tasty, lots of ideas there. I like to make things up according to whatever I have in at the time. I eat chickpeas straight out of the tin! I am hooked on the toasted sesame seed oil, in stir fries, stews, on everything, get it from T***o. 97p
Yes, wild garlic is in abundance here, we have a wood nearby full of it, I love walking through it and having a nibble.
Richard, Yes, I should put more on my web site, but, all my files are on my old computer, along with the upload programme, sitting on the desk next to this one with the new computer. I haven't worked out how to move everything over. So if I want to make changes to my site, I have to work on the old computer, trouble is, I get on the internet on this one and I run out of time.
See, bed time already and I have got to make my pack up yet.
Ilona
~eep~
Richard

Post by Richard »

Mmmm. you could email the software accross, burn it onto CD or DVD, copy paste using a USB Flash Drive or if you have wireless simply network it.

A lot of your ideas are very niche and worth sharing. Could make a few bob as well!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hey, where do we find this secret website.
It's not in Ilona's signature or profile.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Thank you.
Interesting.
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Very interesting website, Ilona.

My husband is a lorry driver and given the very chauvenistic attitude (and that's the polite version) of some of his colleagues I can only imagine the mountain you have had to climb to get where you are. Well done.

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you Michele and Mo. It was mount Everest. I was very shy before I started driving, I got a lot of nasty comments from the men, and often came home in tears. But I treated every day as a fresh new start, you can't change what happened yesterday, and I just got on with it, and learnt their language, if you get my drift!!
My sandwiches for today were mashed peas mixed with cream cheese with garlic. I'm going to try mashed potato sandwiches next week.
I was near Sainsthingy yesterday and called in for some reduced price bread, it wasn't cheap enough, they don't knock much off. Then I saw they had 4 teacakes for 28p, so I thought, who says you have to make sandwiches with bread anyway. A few currants will add a new flavour to it.
Richard, how much do you charge for computer lessons?
Ilona
:?
Richard

Post by Richard »

Ah Ilona, I often talk the talk but it doesn't necessarily mean I can do it - well I can, but usually get in a right mess!!

I always go by the 'if you're going to wipe out someones lifes work, make sure it's your own'!!

The other way would be to put the old hard drive in the 'new' PC alonf with the one which is in there.

Maybe you have a pal who knows a bit?

Those sandwiches are getting very experimental!! Bet they're nice though.
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

[/quote] all my files are on my old computer, along with the upload programme, sitting on the desk next to this one with the new computer. I haven't worked out how to move everything over. [/quote]

if the pcs are next to one another if you do not have wirless
just use a network cable to network the two
there is a program called ghost it will copy all info from
one hard drive to another
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln