Book Charts - Guess who's No.1 !!!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
wendy

Post by wendy »

Sorry Richard I will be more direct in the future.
I am with you no books and don't watch.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

:-D :-D :-D )t' ^b:
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Very interesting review in my local gazette this week, re; Delia's show how to cheat at cooking:-

quote "How can we miss you Delia if you won't go away? Admittedly it is quite clever: cooking with frozen mash and other kitchen time savers..."
"...Fast food giving Delia extra time to spend in a changing room full of naked football players.."
"...To me Delia is like Nigella's plain older sister. Not even the overplayed jazzy theme tune was enough to make her modern. But hey, its better than that droning voice and irritating gulping thing that she does." un-quote!

Frozen mash? So she wants people on low income (etc) to feed their children on broiler hens and no doubt battery eggs but now wants us to buy FROZEN mash instead of buying potatoes, which surely is cheaper than buying it frozen? Or am i missing the point somewhere?
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Richard

Post by Richard »

Strange, think she's lost it?

But...

again....

She never goes away!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Thats why I couldnt help but watch some of it last week, it was car crash tv.

I just could not believe she was telling us it was ok to eat all this ready made stuff, she visited the food institute and they were talking about tinned meat and they said it had all the same nutrients as fresh meat, and just glossed over the added ingredients.

It was bizarre.

If it wasnt going to help her ratings I would watch it next week just to make sure I hadnt imagined it last week! :shock:
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

and ANOTHER thing, shes trying to say its to help people on low incomes, these ready made products are more expensive half the time than the fresh stuff. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

What got me last week, was the ready made bread crumbs. I dont mean toasted, or those orange things we used to cover our fish in the 70's/80's I mean just your normal, every day fresh piece of bread crumbled up. What about all the packaging for a shockingly lazy product? )de:

I best not read this thread again she gets me MAD.
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think, possibly, she may be trying to fill a niche.

Every other Chef is going down the organic, free range, proper stuff, there's no one championing 'the others' and there has to be a call for it solely because some people just don't care where the food came from regardless of cost.

If you saw your vitual captive audience being taken away, you may go and find another one.

Also, it's the working parents thing of coming home and wanting something quick. We all know it can be done, but some don't want to touch the food before they eat it, zero preparation etc.

I believe she's going for the new audience. Regret if that's so, there are many many people still to go animal and food friendly.

Richard
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Yes I agree absolutely, thats what came across to me in the programme anyway.

Im so disappointed in her, went off her a bit after the Football thing and its been downhill ever since :shock:
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I was just watching Harry Hill Tvs Burp and he was taking the mickey out of her programme, insinuating after one of the scenes she'd been on the sherry.

Thats made my night!

Rachel
Muppet9204
Learner Laner

Post by Muppet9204 »

I always liked Delia in the past. Her recipes were the ones that always worked.

I can't come to terms with this book though. For those with too much money and not enough imagination in my humble opinion.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I agree with you there, it goes against every principle of good food management and cookery. It's a bit like buying frozen mashed potato from the frozen section; it takes longer to defrost than it would to microvawe a whole potato into submission. what's the point?
Bah Humbug
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

I always have to laugh (well not literally) when I see ready made roast potatoes in the shops. Surely the height of laziness and I can't believe for one minute that they taste anywhere near as good as homecooked ones!

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

We shpuld put delia in a cage alongside the battery chooks for two days and then let her out and see how she feels about them then )de:
Looove chucks!
heebiejeebie
Lively Laner

Post by heebiejeebie »

Some things are worth buying ready made if you're in a hurry: puff pastry for one since I'm carp at making it. But mashed potato? That's just embarrassing!

I don't watch food programmes on TV but I used my flatmate's Delia book in the 80s when I was a student and it was really helpful - practical without cutting corners on quality. No idea which book it was.
There's no cure for stupidity.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Frozen Jacket potato with cheese and ready chopped garlic. how rubbish is that.
Bah Humbug