Yet again - Broiler Chickens

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Yet again, a Supermarket is 'exposed' through selling the wrong product....

THE TIMES

Do we really know what we're eating sometimes.

And....we are supposed to trust?

Richard
(see also http://www.downthelane.net/broiler.html)
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
fenlander
Lively Laner

Post by fenlander »

On the subject of these chickens can i just say that the people i work for buy them in to roast from the slaughter house for 27p each and they sell roastd for 3.79p
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

There you go Richard, the lesson here is only eat the food you have cooked and have sourced yourself from small quality butchers and known farm shops. I'm sure I've posted before that I travel 40 miles round trip to a farm shop every 3 months for chicken, pork, gammon and bacon - its not cheap but the meat is well farmed and as we get good value from his products its worth the journey.
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

Blimey Richard, spot the odd one out! Do you know its only in the last few days that I have really noticed the whole organic thing as being much better option. It sounds so ignorant of me but then no one is to know until they are shown.

I just moved here to a 2 bed house, so my son could have a garden, and a garden we got! Not bad for a council house, my wee lad now has expanse of grass, or rather jungle (it needs strimming BADLY) anyway..wher was I...*thinks to self* er....

OH YEAH!

Having this much garden, and seeing what all the other neighbouroonies are doing, they all seem to have converted the end of theirs into veggie patches. Great idea and I shall follow suit.

My Granddad would be so proud.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
wendy

Post by wendy »

be veggie....no problems. If you eat organic.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Wendy I respect yours and others views on vegetarianism, some people enjoy meat and it is a good source of protein. I think if I had to depart something myself that would be a different story....
One of the reasons also is that the body has an appendix which was originally used to digest raw meat.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Anna,
I am not totally vegetarian. We eat meat, usually if we go out or go to friends. I don't have a problem with eating meat, provided it was properly reared and humanely killed.
I just think us in the western world eat too much meat for our own good.
So during the week we eat vegetarian and of a weekend we will eat meat. Moderation in everything.
Wendy

AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Wendy I agree about the moderation. Spoke to the GP sometime ago and explained about the things I do glass of red wine, smoke, the diet we eat and she agreed - she said that everything in moderation is fine (I think she has given up on me)! I also said that over the years I have known too many out and out 'health freaks' that sadly died young.
Emmamoo It is good when people have the facts before them and take notice. I always haven't eaten as we have over the last 10 years. I know lots of people that can't be bothered. Its not 'easy' digging your garden and planting and caring for your crop and sometimes having it fail - but at the end of the day it is so worthwhile.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Absolutely, great comments all round.

The vegetable patch for us is great, a hobby and a wonderful experience.
For our parents (depending on our age) and grandparents, it was a necessity.

And yes Emmamoo - Your Grandparents would be proud of you - bet you anything.
Enjoy it and 'dig for victory'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Jodi
Lively Laner

Post by Jodi »

I'm having an absolute dilema at the moment. I'm a meat eater but I'm becoming more and more sickened by the thought that I'm eating an animal. I've had chooks for about 10 weeks and in that time have only eaten chicken once, and it just didn't feel right.

We rarely eat lamb, I haven't eaten veal for years and I'm struggling to eat beef, but OH and 3yo love it.

I just don't know which way to go - I can't drag my family into being vegies, so I'll have to cook it. I suppose I'm afraid that if I keep thinking this way, my feelings will get stronger and I won't even be able to cook it!!

Scott wants to get a cow and fatten it up and have it slaughtered. His arguement is that it would be raised and killed humanely, and we'd know exactly what we're eating. I suppose as long as it is not in my paddock and is done elsewhere would be the best solution but I'm still a bit hesitant!!!

Has anyone else felt this way......and how did you resolve it?

cheers
Jodi
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I know I would eat less meat if I was just catering for myself. But for OH ameal has to be meat and 2 veg, with a cooked pud to follow.
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Jodi,
I don't know if I could eat an animal I had owned, properly looked after and humanely killed or not. :(
I haven't eaten rabbit since I was 10 because I owned a flemish giant for 10 years.
I slowly got my OH round to it, by just cooking one vegetarian dish a week. Then increased them.
There are some really great recipes around for veggies. So many people think they are boring, but far from it. It takes only a few minutes to make them. The longest being only about 30 minutes to cook. I started with sweet potatoes, mushrooms and peanut butter. Don't sound too good, but the taste is delicious. Last night it was sweetheart cabbage and pasta, again really lovely.
Wendy

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

ive had my chooks for a month and not touched chicken since the day i got them. i deliberately had chicken the night b 4 i got them just incase this happened! and it has!
i cant stand the thought of eating it now, just turns my stomach!
and i wasnt a lover of pork beef or lamb anyway! i find im eating more bacon and trying to eat a little more of the above but i cant stand to go near chicken!
my mum said the other day that if i was to see how other animals were slaughtered she was worried i may become a veg, well guess what, im half way there!
i dont stop my daughter eating n e thing around other peoples houses and i still try to keep meat in our diet for her but its getting harder and harder! luckily she loves salad and veges! thats why were trying to grow tomatos and sweet peppers this year! the beginning of a good thing to come!
however i have an allergy/intolerance to raw fruit and veg (not many people heard of it and think im making it up but im not) my mum also has it and im worried my girl might because it dows restrict my diet somewhat! mum and i have the exact same allergies, raw fruit and veg, all pollens (we have hayfever for 10 months of the year!), latex, any kind of furry animals, but not to hairy animals (there is a difference!!), nuts, dust and others i cant remember right now!
i cant pick strawberries in a field cos my hands itch and swell, i cant eat raw fruit and veg cos the same happens to my mouth, i sometimes blister if it gets bad! we found by cooking the stuff it changes the enzyme properties in the friut and veg and we dont react, and by eating it with something (ie strawberries and cream or salad and tuna together in mouth at same time) but we shouldnt eat raw stuff. allergies like this will only get worse, not better and we are constantly advised to avoid any thing that may cause a reaction!
most people get excited about some sort of food, usually cos they shouldnt indulge in too much of it, chocolate, bread, ours is salad and fruit, we crave it :shock:

anyway rant over

kat )ot: notmee sorry :(
Last edited by b_cos_1_can on 28 Jun 2007, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Do I recollect a new law which means you can trace the meat back to the farm it came from?
b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

really?