Organic Eggs

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Organic Eggs

Post by saint-spoon »

I was reading in one of my wife’s magazines (I was bored) that according to a recent government survey 23.4% of battery eggs tested positive for salmonella compared to 4.4% of organic and 6.5% of free range. The conclusion being that if you have to buy your eggs avoid battery (as we do) but don’t bother paying for organic because the risk doesn’t outweigh the rise in cost.
Bah Humbug
ged
Lively Laner

eggs

Post by ged »

:-D I was in that roll back store the other day,cheapest eggs(battery) 88p per 6.My local greengrocer who sells own organic and free range,90p per free range half dozen!If you dont go early,ie before 9 am(opens at 0730) then he is sold out for the day.
I buy only that which I cannot produce myself.
atb
ged )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
jaylay30
Learner Laner

Post by jaylay30 »

If this is the case about Battery hens did anyone worry about the eggs they got from their ex battery hens? Is it worth getting your ex battery hens checked for salmonella when you get them? Or is there a treatment that can be carried out anyway that will ensure the eggs from ex battery hens are ok?
Thanks.

Jerry