most useless supermarket item?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I buy a bag of lemons from Lidl, slice and cut in half, put on a tray and deep freeze, ideal for g&t's, and they don't get diluted with water!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

i used to do that with lime quarters, same thing really.
Bah Humbug
lucky clucker
Lively Laner

Post by lucky clucker »

i freeze lemon juice into cubes for g n t ,the kids like em in their lemonade n coke aswell (f+
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

lucky clucker wrote:i freeze lemon juice into cubes for g n t ,the kids like em in their lemonade n coke aswell (f+

frshly squeezed or from a jiphy bottle?
Bah Humbug
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

Ready made popcorn.

I'm no fan of cookery, although I'm learning to enjoy it a bit more as the years go by, but making popcorn is FUN!
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

ready to reheat yorkshire puddings :shock: couldnt be more easier, flour egg milk salt and pepper , has the world all gone lazy?
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I saw ready made porridge in a plastic bag, how lazy is that. It looked disgusting, yike*

Ilona
:?
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

oh Ilona its awful to think what can be purchassed these days, not forgetting the boil in the bag thingys, yuk yuk yuk , give me good old fashioned ingredients and let me lose in the kitchen, i love cooking, cant understand the newer generation as my step children will not eat vegetables at all, there excuse is mum never gave them to us as we grew up?, there like 29 now, mine grew up eating it all, if they didnt like it nor eat it then there was nothing else,they soon learnt to eat whats put infront of them, and never died of hunger )c+ )c(
cheeky chicken
Lively Laner

Post by cheeky chicken »

Grated cheddar cheese!!!!!!!!!!!

That has to be the laziest item.
cheeky chicken
Lively Laner

Post by cheeky chicken »

Just imagine buying that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
manda

Post by manda »

The PR department at Pratco's.......not really an "item" but they're in store!
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Post by RoomandKitchen »

Posted: 10 07 2008 11:10 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw ready made porridge in a plastic bag, how lazy is that. It looked disgusting,

A girl at my work brings in porridge bought in a tub like yougrt why???
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

Just had to come to the defence of the grated cheese, sliced ordinary cheese, frozen mash etc..... I have three children with learning disabilities, two of them are coming to an age where they want to start making meals......NO WAY..... could they make things from scratch BUT......they could put frozen mash, tinned veg and some kind of precooked meat together or make a pasta thingy etc. Even making a sandwhich or a wrap is out of the skill range of one of them.

For one of them sharp knives is out of the question (danger to themselves, not others) so pre peeled, chopped veg is good.

I also have a friend with severe arthritis in her hands, so prepared fresh food has truly improved her standard of meals that she is able to prepare.

Having said that the expense alone is so high, never mind the amount of messing about the food has had done to it....
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Yup, I know someone who buys grated cheddar cheese because she can't use the grater, she's got arthritic hands.
There's an awful lot of junk out there though, it's the cleaning products that make me GRRRR to myself.
A sponge that's been pre-soaked in detergent? How bloomin' lazy have you got to be to buy that instead of one bottle of cleaner and a packet of sponges that costs less than a packet of these things?
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

Having defended the supermarkets to a certain degree I just wonder how do they come up with ideas to make things that they then try and persuade us we must have????

Sooooo many cleaning products and so many cloths to use with them...yes I use old towels, t shirts etc and I knit cotton dishcloths (general cleaning use as well as dishes) I added a coloured stripe to some so that I don't use the same ones in the toilet as in the sink! they are cheap, hardwearing and I am told can be composted at the end of their sad little knitted life??? don't know about that but I am sure someone will whizzalong to tell me.

Not only am I concerned about the amount of chemicals, but also the plastic that it is all packagd in.

I wonder about the sincerity of concentrating laundry detergent ... it is sold as a way to save on plastic and transport...BUT ... how many people still use more than is needed and so increase the profits of the manufacturers? Perhpas I am just a grumpy old cynic?