air dried ham

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Al B
Lively Laner

air dried ham

Post by Al B »

My OH went to River Cottage at Christmas and he is now air drying his own ham! He salted a leg of Glos Old Spot for 6 weeks then rinsed it in cider vinegar, wrapped it in muslin and it is now hanging in our open sided barn at the bottom of the garden! We only have to wait 4 months before we can try the Aylburton version of Parma ham................unless it goes off / is eaten by foxes of course!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Did he have to buy the leg or could he swap it for half a days hedge laying and a jar of home made rhubarb and elderflower chutney like Mr S-W does on the telly? :? confused> ((w
Bah Humbug
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

OOOO - I'm going to River Cottage in August, as they have a kind of open day event going on!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Small steps lead to big changes
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

air dried ham

Post by AnnaB »

Hi Al B

Well done to your OH - is it possible to put it into some kind of cage to protect it??
ged
Lively Laner

air dried ham

Post by ged »

:-D
Hi Al b,
My friend who has a farm raised a porker a couple of years ago.I made some sausages and he did some air dried ham!He basically did similar to yourself,double wrapping the ham in linen and drying it in his timber lean to.It was excellent!!!1
I wish you every success and enjoyment of the finished product!
atb
ged )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.