Bread makers

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

My bread maker is in the loft! It was about £25 and is excellent. I made all sorts of bread and cakes and pizza and.................got really fat so am trying not to eat bread pastry at all.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Bread makers

Post by AnnaB »

I've got the same model as Rachel - it is now very nearly 4 years old. When it packs up I shall buy exactly the same model.

We cost ed the ingredients when we first had it and with electricity worked out at around 50p. Where can you get a loaf these days for that amount??

Flour has not gone up as much as I had expected it to before Christmas so the costing exercise stands.

I too agree with Wendy - no rubbish in our bread and it is properly proven. Shop bought is accelerated to make it rise - maybe why there are so many wheat allergies about??
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

luke3hens wrote:.

when i have ten minuits free (not often) i bag up in little freezer bags the dry ingrediants minus the yeast, then when i want a loaf all i do is add the water and pop in a ready bag and the yeast and bobs your uncle, fannys your aunt and richard is your dads brother.

Like that idea alot! Then my OH has got NO excuse for not making the bread as well.

Rachel
stormingnorman
Lively Laner

Post by stormingnorman »

have not used ours for some time I used to set before I went to bed and wake up to fresh bread. cheaper yes I worked it out to 46p per loaf. Only problem was I'd keep eating itaand then run out and have to go to the local Spar and pay through the nose for the rubbish we would otherwise have bought from the supermarket so overall propbably not But. home made bread you cant beat it with thick butter or home made marmalade or cheese or fresh eggs or. I'm going home for tea now and to find the bread maker I'm starving

stormingnorman
ps did anyone watch some program about a chef named Marco last night. I quite fancy his food
i dont understand enough about computers
stormingnorman
Lively Laner

Post by stormingnorman »

my previous post last paragraph obviously should have been in other topic

Norman
i dont understand enough about computers
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Have got the Panasonic and have had it for about 4 years. I bought it to replace a cheap one which I wasn't very pleased with.

I am SO pleased with it that I have recently bought my daughter one and persuaded a friend to buy one too! Their new model is even better that mine and I shall certainly get another one when mine eventually gives up!

I WOULD recommend that you get one with an automatic raisin dispenser - I always put pumpkin & sunflower seeds into my bread. This can be done manually but you have to remember and its a bit of a pain.

Delicious bread though. Easy peasy.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
WiseBird
Learner Laner

Post by WiseBird »

Hi guys, I haven't been around for a while but I thought i'd jump in with this one!

I make all of our bread and have done for the past 2 - 3 years. I don't have a breadmaker but I do use my trusty, 18 year old Kenwood to mix and knead the dough. it works a dream and I batch bake bread and rolls a couple of times a week then store it in the freezer. I just cannot eat wrapped bread any more, it is truly disgusting

I always bake the bread before freezing it but I will try freezing the unrisen dough to see how that works...has anyone else tried that?

Donna
If life deals you lemons - make lemonade!
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Hi Donna., I think that freezing the unleavened dough will kill the action of the yeast. I'm no expert though and it might be just worth a try for experimental purposes )c+ .I love my breadmaker! (f+
Looove chucks!
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Never tried freezing the dough but know you can freeze fresh yeast

xx
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Getting a bit science-y here ^b: I think low temperatures will only halt yeast growth, you need high temps to kill it. That is certainly true for bacteria. I keep dried yeast in the fridge and it still works.

I will experiment and report back ((w

Effie )c+
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"