chip shop chips

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

fish & chip supper

Post by 4 french hens »

The locals in scotland do indeed simply ask for a fish supper, but what you get depends on which coast you are near.
On one coast the fish tends to be hake and on the other haddock, and for the life of me, I cannot remember which is where.
One night I was in Girvan on the west coast of Ayrshire during the winter and the only place open for food was a chippy, but as I walked in the owner said "No fish", so I asked if he had any pies, and got the reply that as he had not had a fish delivery from aberdeen that day and his regulars had eaten all his pies, sausages etc.
Then he suddenly said "I've got a piece of cod in the freezer, would you like me to cook that?"
Ten minutes later I was sat in my truck eating it. As I went to throw the rubbish in the litter bin the chippy owner came out and asked if it was ok, because he had never cooked a piece of cod before!
"How long have you had the fish shop?" I asked and was told 14 years! but don't worry it's only been in the freezer 2 weeks as it was delivered by mistake.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.