chip shop chips

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Richard wrote:I just like pure Cod and Chips - nothing else.

Occasionally I have chips and sprinkle some Cheese to melt on top and have them just on their own.

There is a chippy in Helensborough Nr Faslane that sells the best cheesy chips, on the down side if you ask for a pizza that goes in the fryer, if you ask for a pie it goes in the fryer, haggis or anything else is straight into the fryer. Pizza in batter is something to be experienced if your arteries can handle it, I think that they make the dough especially so that they can fold it over calzone style and prevent the topping from falling out into the batter. There’s always a cue at that chippy from when it opens until when ever the customers run out and it closes again. I even got them to do me cheesy chips in batter once (with curry sauce); it wasn’t too bad but then again I wouldn’t have asked for something like that if I hadn’t had a few.

Quick one for Effie, I think that pickled onion vinegar is the best on chips and in chip butties, it’s got and extra tang that’s just sublime.
Bah Humbug
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi

I love a nice fish and chips, my dad knows his stuff, so we know the best chippys , when we go to the coast for the day we go to Ingams in Filey, excellent. The Magpie in Whitby, Rick Stein recommended them. I think its Thompsons in Wetwang, dont ask me what i call Wetwang (its a village), i think i put an er on the end.

I would love to try a pea fritter have never seen one. I go to my local chippy about once a week i know its bad, but when you have done the school run, been to work, gone to dance class, its an easy tea and nobody complains, i hate it when the kids complain, like tonight there will be alot of complaints, and it always whats for pudding.

Mellonia

Good question Saint spoon, i like to know what everyone likes as well.
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

sadly here in holland NO REAL ENGLISH FISH AND CHIP SHOP, so i cook my own from fresh fish out the sea, make me own chips and enjoy my crackling and home made pickled onions FANTASTIC plenty of vinagar also not available here, with salt YUM YUM YUM, NOW IM CRYING OUT FOR FRIDAY, no folks still not back to work hospital well, work no:( stretched the bands in my foor had my second plaster today:(:(:(:(:(
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Last time I had chips in Holland (in the old sailor on Canal Strasse) they covered them in mayonnaise.
Bah Humbug
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Oh yuk!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

It's the same in Belgium, not a vinegar pot in site and heaps of mayo piled on the old mcdoodles style chips.

just to clarify my previous post, the old sailor is a bar and not an acquaintance..... :shock:
Bah Humbug
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

sile} SS!!!
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Citrine wrote:sile} SS!!!

what have i done now? )sh
Bah Humbug
stiggy
Lively Laner

Post by stiggy »

saint-spoon wrote:just to clarify my previous post, the old sailor is a bar and not an acquaintance..... :shock:

One protests too much methinks!

)j;

I go to chip shop on Thursdays.. (WOOHOO! this thread reminded me!)

...and get 2 large portions of chips and 4-6 jumbo sausages to share for the family.

Sometimes my oldest prefers to have a large cod to himself.

)t'
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

I had chips for tea, ever since ss started this thread i have been craving them!
So had meself a big chip buttie with a big dollop of ketchup yummm )eat(
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
cheeky chicken
Lively Laner

Post by cheeky chicken »

Up here you have to tell them not to deep fry the pies!!!!!!!!!
I have been caught out!
yuk. Grease City.

"A haggis supper for 1 please!"

Not for me just fish and chips
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

chip suppers are almost a thing of the past as we have an hours round trip (if there are no tractors out), but
We needed bread and the dogs needed boosters so ater the late surgery we had chippy chips.

Chips and curry sauce for me

Fish and chips for Mr Spud. He has his wrapped seperate and has monster portion, this means that we can open the wrapper in the car and scoff some of his on the way home....

Yum
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

chip shop chips

Post by 4 french hens »

Technical hint here folks.
Chip shop chips are from a variety of potatoe called MARIS PIPER developed in Trumpingtom, Cambridge by a company called MONSATO I think, don't quote me on that.
Maris Piper spuds are used in chip shops because they stay white, even when cooked and remain the same colour no matter how long they are in the hot box above the fryer.
Problem with them is if you boil them they go to mush and are hopeless for baking.
The only other way to cook them successfully is to steam them, they stay whole and cook very quickly, and maintain most of their flavour that is lost in frying.
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have Marris Piper in my garden, Mike. Good job I don't make chips at home, I steam them. Yes, they cook quickly, I cut them into very large chunks, the smaller potatoes go in whole, and I put all the veg in together, that way everything is ready at the same time.

)eat(
Ilona
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Chips and curry sauce is just scrumptious.

Anyone know where to get the curry sauce mix so I can make my own?

In the East End of London I stopped at a chippy, and the chap in front of me asked for "a bag of chips and a wally". Can anyone guess what a wally is?