Microwave cooking

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Clouds
Learner Laner

Microwave cooking

Post by Clouds »

All the cooking programmes on TV and yet the microwave is largely ignored - but it must be 'greener'. I don't just use mine to heat / defrost but to make cakes, custard (all in one bowl), scrambled eggs, jams and chutneys and cook fish. I'm not very successful cooking meat. Has anyone any good tips?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Welcome to the forum.
Me too. The only thing I don't use it for is cakes and we don't eat meat.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
New to all this
Lively Laner

Post by New to all this »

Sorry Clouds - Don't even own one anymore so can't help. Found that we only used it to defrost stuff and warm babies bottles, so once the kids were past that age it was just another piece of kitchen equipment tkaing up work space.
Faye x
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

I had an all singing all dancing one which wore out and was supprised when a new one only cost £150. I use it for all sorts and hardly use my oven at all. My old one did crispy skinned jacket potatoes just on weight and I'm just getting the hang of the new one.
I don't burn sauces in the mirco!
manda

Post by manda »

Never really had much luck with meat in the microwave to be honest so would be interested if anyone has and how.

Have cooked fish in it but to be honest we mostly BBQ that or do the bigger fish in the smoker or the dishwasher.

Any good microwave cake recipes would be interesting...I've not tried those.

Manda
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

We have a micro - cost £30 or thereabouts.

I'm a veggie and use it to start jacket spuds off before putting them in the oven if I need them quickly
Also good for scrambled egg I think - and cooking dried pasta at work!

My hubby eats meat - and he uses it for defrosting meat mainly. He also cooks chicken in it, as it comes out really juicy (he says). He puts cling film over the dish it's in, so it kind of steams/poaches and keeps the moisture in.
Small steps lead to big changes
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

I hardly ever use my micro, i use it like morph to start off pots then put them in the oven, i cook those packet noodle thingys in their or beans but thats about it, i use the stove for eggs etc.
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

The Microwave (according to my reading up on it) is one of the most power saving / cost effective ways of cooking, also very 'green'.

It's a changed perception isn't it.
Last edited by Richard on 05 Jul 2008, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

manda wrote:Have cooked fish in it but to be honest we mostly BBQ that or do the bigger fish in the smoker or the dishwasher.
Manda

How do you do fish in the dishwasher? I'm intrigued.

I only ever use the microwave for starting off jacket spuds.
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I shall probably be shot down in flames for saying this, but I use the microwave to do Scrambled Eggs.

Semi running for cover !
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
manda

Post by manda »

Double wrap it up in tinfoil, stick it on the bottom shelf and put it on a normal wash....does Salmon lovely. As they can be so big you aren't scrimped for space (thankfully husband fly fishes and loves his Salmon fishing too - you can only eat Trout you have caught in NZ you can't buy it in the shops and there's nothing like wild Salmon..especially the price!!).
wendy

Post by wendy »

My goodness Manda all that water to cook Salmon !! LOL
I also do the chickens scrambled egg in the microwave Richard.
Just to clarify at the moment we cannot eat some eggs as the girls have been on Anti biotics, so I give them back to the girls.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Scrambled eggs, custard, white sauce (to be made into cheese, mustard sauce etc) are ideal in the micro.

Why do you only start jacket pots in micro. I brush mine in all and put them on combi and two good sized ones are done in just over 20 mins with lovely crispy skins.

When I used my deep fat fryer (went the same way as the bread maker = loft). Micro some potatoes, skin on. Quarter and deep fry, eat with salt and mayo. So fattening but scrummy!
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Post by 4 french hens »

In our house the microwave is known as "The Chernobyl Box"!
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi (f+ (f+ (f+

i do scrambled eggs in the micro richard my kids make it to not so much mess and no burnt pans )c+ )c+

jo x