Blackcurrant recipes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
cheeky chicken
Lively Laner

Blackcurrant recipes

Post by cheeky chicken »

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do with blackcurrants? Never really cooked with them before, we have 2 bushes in our garden and I would love to use them rather than let them go to waste.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Hi there, try blackcurrant sorbet, its dead easy to make, just boil the friut with a little water and sugar(not sure of quantity) cool and then freeze til soft and take out, stir it up and freeze again. It's scrummy.
Also Blackcurrant fluff..... Boil currants, add sugar , cool and strain. Add powder gelatine and put in fridge to start setting. Then whip double cream until quite stiff and fold it into the blackcurrant juice.You can add cassis or some other liquer if you like. pour into small dishes and set in fridge....this is gorgeous and really tasty...mousse like . )c+ I do this for dinner parties.
good luck with them. The black currants keep really well in the freezer.
Looove chucks!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I like blackcurrant jam, but don't make too much, it's better when fresh. Also pies.
I freeze mine on a flat tray then bag them and can pour out as many as I want.
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Blackcurrant cordial is great too - much better than the Rib..a stuff in shops.

Bring blackcurrants and a little water slowly to boil, and when very soft, pour into a nylon jelly bag, and let it drip slowly overnight (covered). If you squeeze it, the resultant cordial will be cloudy.

Then for every pint add approximately 10oz of sugar, and bottle. Or pour into ice cube trays and freeze.

Then just pop 1 cube into a glass, add water ... and gulp down with pure pleasure.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Does it ferment?
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I've never had any problem with it fermenting - the sugar acts as a preservative. It's just the same as making jam, just using less sugar which therefore makes it runny.

Came across some in a bottle at the back of the larder which was 3 years old - looked fine, tasted fine!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

mine was distinctly alcoholic.