making up recipes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

making up recipes

Post by Meanqueen »

I never cease to amaze myself with the amount of variations I can come up with, with the simplest of ingredients.

I was getting a bit bored with steamed veg, so I got a big pan and chopped up some runner beans, 3 mushrooms, a few peas, green and yellow courgettes, two onions, and 3 cloves of garlic.

I stir fried them in olive oil, toasted sesame seed oil, lemon jif juice, spices, (anything will do). Cooked them till tender, made a well in the middle and broke two eggs into it. Keep pan on heat and scramble eggs untill all mixed in together.

It was absolutely delicious, a huge plate full for about £1. You could use any vegetables that you have. I really can't be bothered with all the cooking programmes, recipe books, etc, I just love making it up as I go. Does anybody else 'chuck it in and see what happens?'

)eat(
Ilona
*Di*
Lively Laner

Post by *Di* »

Sounds yummy to me... )t'
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday...
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

yup, constantly, and I have a 60/40 chance of getting it right.

My favourite one for a while was fry an onion but leave it a bit crunchy, add a small tin of water chestnuts, and one of bamboo shoots, add some tomatoes, chopped, then when that had cooked for a bit, put it in a large shallow bowl and sprinkle grated cheese over it.
Let the cheese melt, then eat.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That sounds scrummy, Taff, I have never tried water chestnuts before ..... unless I had them in a chinese restaurant years ago, when I used to go to chinese restaurants.

Ilona
)c+
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

i am always making concoctions from nothing....we live practically next to a chip shop so i say....if you don,t like it theres a chippy next door )c+ x
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

some of the stuff that i come up with... can only be eaten if you have an asbestos lined stomach, and half of hte stuff couldnt be made again if I tried.

Mr Spud once made a fish pie. I came home from work and he was reall pleased considering we had no fish or spinach. when i asked him how he had doneit he had
substituded mashed brussel sprouts for the spinach and took the bread coating and mashed up the fish from fish fingers for the fish....... err it wasnt too pleasant but it was food and cooked so we ate it.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Spudley, that is very funny :) at least he had a go, he is very inventive, thinking outside the box is what I think you call it )t'

Ilona
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

Meanqueen wrote:I have never tried water chestnuts before ..... unless I had them in a chinese restaurant years ago

They're really good, they're not really flavoursome, but the good thing is you can never overcook them, because they will always be crunchy.Just adds a bit of texture.
I'll be trying yours this when the runner beans decide to come out.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...