jam maker

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: jam maker

Post by Annie »

p.penn wrote:Well, encouraged by you Mrs B, I bought some cheap strawberries and so dug mine out today. Despite extending the boiling a couple of times, I now have 4 teeny jars of strawberry goo. GRRRRR

AND I seem to have a couple of scratches on the bottom after this one use }hairout{ how did I do that?

I am never ever ever ever making strawberry jam again.

Bet you do Helen - you hate being beaten {rofwl}

Tell you what I am really not going to buy a jam maker if I get any birthday money {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Annie wrote:
Bet you do Helen - you hate being beaten {rofwl}

Bet I don't {rofwl} Trouble is I love homemade strawberry jam, but I am rubbish at making it {rofwl} This batch is not only runny, but also attractively marbled with scum {rofwl} {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

p.penn wrote:Well, encouraged by you Mrs B, I bought some cheap strawberries and so dug mine out today. Despite extending the boiling a couple of times, I now have 4 teeny jars of strawberry goo. GRRRRR

Sorry Helen.

I will say the toffee maker did clean up well but I managed to spill a bit of toffee on my hand which really hurts {cry} {cry} . Plus I have two jars of toffee that I now have to try and empty ... they are the posh jars that came with the maker or I would just sling them out.

To be honest the jam maker is not what I expected, I thought it was going to be weigh everything throw it in and press a button type job. I shall read all the bumph again and ask my friend to give me a master class asap and if I am still not impressed then I shall return it.

It doesn't help that I am not keen on jam and the smell of the marmalade toffee was horrid.

I shall try again.
manda

Post by manda »

Cooked for too long...you will get the hang of it...I think although..... Helen.... {rofwl}
I've found that if it looks a bit too runny then it's about right with Marmalade because it gets more solid as time goes on...I did it the first time I made Marmalade I cooked it till I thought it looked firm and ended up with Marmalade toffee.

Don't listen to this Helen because it doesn't seem to apply to Strawberry Jam!!! {hug&kiss}

Make rice pudding 20 minutes done and it's yummy (just no skin...which I do like but hey ho it's a quick fix).
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Manda, I hope I do get better as I feel very demoralised. The house reeks of marmalade.
manda

Post by manda »

Honestly I felt the same...I had the thing shipped from the UK (because they're not available here at all >shrug< ) and exactly the same ..I thought I had made a monumental mistake (I'm being polite here)..but once you get the hang of consistency before you put it in the jar you're away ...I really do love mine now...and did I mention rice pudding )sh
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Any more news on the jam maker Mrs B >shrug<
[center][/center]Davina
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

davina112 wrote:Any more news on the jam maker Mrs B >shrug<

It is in the cupboard plotting a plan of escape with the food processor, they will probably sneak up on me one night, cut me into pretty slices then cook me until I turn to toffee.

I have some frozen berries that need using so I may try again tomorrow but don't hold your breath
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oooooh - I am glad I remembered to post - MY JAM SET!!!! (sorry jam maker!)

In fact, I was thinking I could have cooked it less - the test just didn't wrinkle }hairout{

I now like my jam maker again. +f+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

p.penn wrote:Oooooh - I am glad I remembered to post - MY JAM SET!!!! (sorry jam maker!)

In fact, I was thinking I could have cooked it less - the test just didn't wrinkle }hairout{

I now like my jam maker again. +f+

REMIND me Helen was is STRAWBERRY jam by any chance ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
sazchops
Legendary Laner

Post by sazchops »

Mrs B wrote:
davina112 wrote:Any more news on the jam maker Mrs B >shrug<

It is in the cupboard plotting a plan of escape with the food processor, they will probably sneak up on me one night, cut me into pretty slices then cook me until I turn to toffee.

I have some frozen berries that need using so I may try again tomorrow but don't hold your breath

Does it have a friend called juicer?
I love making jam. One of the best bits is standing over the copper pan stirring.
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Would`nt fancy a jam maker, I have two preserving pans, one for pickles etc and one for jams. Something very thereputic and satisfying about making your own preserves. I am down to my last jar of Damson jam {cry} . Have got some foraged blackberries frozen in freezer, maybe just enough to make a few jars of blackberry and apple to keep me going.
manda

Post by manda »

I have preserving pans as well Mrs Boodles...and somedays I love standing making things others (especially since I shot my knee) it's just purgatory....I will stand to make "Something like Branston pickle" though )grin2( (and my have to soon).

The advantage as I see it (of having both) is I can do small amounts of one thing in the jam maker (does a kilo of fruit) which means I can buy lots of different fruits and do different jams...or if time is really short I can make jam and do other things at the same time.

and it makes really nice rice pudding )sh
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I must try rice pud - was going to when my grandchildren stayed at the weekend, but didn't get round to it. }hairout{
Helen xx

Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Is it true that the jam maker can be used for rice pudding, I am sure I heard that somewhere. )run(

Mrs Boodles the idea of the jam maker for me is that I don't use up a day off standing over a pan for hours, I always have other things to do and prefer to be outside in the fresh air when not working.