Take a box of eggs . . .

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Take a box of eggs . . .

Post by bmpsands »

On the recommendation of a Laner I bought this little book and it's great!

I had a 92 year old for lunch today (OK - we had a proper lunch but with a 92yr old mother in law present) and she always likes a pudding that she remembers from her younger days. The take a box etc book had a basic egg custard recipe so I thought that would be great. It will be lovely at teatime - but what on earth have I done wrong?????

The recipe said gas mark 3 for 45mins to an hour. After an hour and a quarter I gave up and rustled up a quick semolina with home made jam. The baked custard looked/felt done after about an hour and 45 mins but when I went to cut a slice for MiL to take away with her for tea there is still a bit of runny stuff in the bottom of the dish. I should also say that the last 40 mins or so was at Gas mark 5!

Help please!

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Take a box of eggs . . .

Post by Annie »

Not sure Bea,
I have a recipe for pastry lined egg custards roughly it uses 1/2 pt milk,2 tablespoons sugar,2-3 medium eggs , nutmeg.
Are you quantities the same ?
Bake 30 - 40 mins at 170-180 which I think translates at 2 -3 gas mark.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks Annie

My recipe has no pastry base. There's 3 eggs, 1 pt milk, 1 oz sugar and nutmeg.

I'm going to have another crack at it, using the bottom oven not the top, and see how we go. I baked it in quite a shallow container so I'm baffled.
B
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
manda

Post by manda »

Are you baking it in a bain marie?

3 eggs, plus 1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
450ml cream or milk or half and half
60g caster sugar
Freshly grated nutmeg, to dust

Beat the whole eggs, egg yolk and vanilla extract together lightly
Put the milk / cream in a pan with the sugar and dissolve sugar.
Heat to just below boiling point then pour onto the eggs and stir to combine (You can strain through a sieve if you want to before putting it into your dish).
Stand in a roasting pan half-filled with hot water. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg. Bake for about 30-35 minutes.

I wonder whether not putting it in a bain marie is stopping it from setting.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Yes, Manda, it was in a bain marie. The quantities don't sound much different but it took FOREVER to cook. The end result was gorgeous, but I'm going to try to bottom oven of my double cooker next time which I believe is rather fierce.
manda

Post by manda »

If that doesn't work I would put an extra egg or two in it which would probably make it set.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks again. An extra egg sounds like a good idea.