Do you eat chicken?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: Do you eat chicken?

Post by fabindia »

We don't eat chicken. My wife has never liked the taste of chicken and I am vegetarian.

One of the reasons I am vegetarian is that I totally disagree with the whole modern set up of meat supplies, take the horse meat scandal for example. I do see where folks like Manda are coming from though, and personally, if I had the space and the livestock I could see myself eating chicken then.
Michael
luckilotti
Lively Laner

Post by luckilotti »

i know this post is a few months old but thought i would add my bit :)

we eat chicken here, and my 5 year old twins LOVE it... they are very fussy eaters and would have it for lunch and tea each day if i let them. Their consultant has said she is happy for them to eat it daily if it means they are eating...

What is rather interesting is their attitude towards it. They have pet chickens, ex batts, and they love them to pieces, yet when i am getting the meat off a roasted chicken, they come over and ask about which bone is which, then relate it to their pet hens. I dont know if that is weird or not really to others but IMO it is making them really aware of where there food comes from - chicken doesnt come just from the supermarket/a packet etc, they know it was a living animal that has been killed so they can eat it.

I couldnt ever eat my own pet chickens however, i would love to raise my own turkey for christmas, however..... i would have to get someone else to do the deed, pluck etc and i would want it back over ready - i dont know if in reality i could do it, but i think i would aim to one year, knowing what life the turkey had been given would be wonderful for me as i would know that it was happy, free to wonder around, do as it pleases etc and wasnt mass reared. Mind you, i think i would prob be too attached!
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!
Blackpool/Preston Collection Point
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Yes, we do too but it was the free range thing for us as well that changed when we had our own. We always had tried to, but became strict about it when we got the girls. It's very hard to be as strict about egg products, though. We are lucky to live in an area with many butchers and full traceability back to farms that we recognise, and try not to buy from supermarkets.