Indian takeaways - anyone else getting a little tired of the

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Indian takeaways - anyone else getting a little tired of the

Post by fabindia »

Slightly related to last thread about is there anything we can't make. But I am getting a little tired of Indian takeaway food. Although we have a couple of excellent ones local to us, I do find nearly every India takeaway serves up the same old, fairly boring, food, often too greasy and salty.

The Indian food we make at home on the other hand is excellent. We have a few good really India cookery books and make the sort of stuff that you can't get in your average takeaway or restaurant but on the other hand is much more authentic Indian food.

PS, we had an Indian cook when we lived in Delhi who used to come in a cook for us 3 or 4 times a week. She was excellent, I only wish we could have brought her home with us :-D
Michael
silverback
Legendary Laner

Re: Indian takeaways - anyone else getting a little tired of

Post by silverback »

Never get bored or fedup with a good ruby, although I do agree that a good home cooked curry can be just as good! )t' . My ex-BIL was a plumber/gas fitter and he said when he was offered something to eat in an asian household, it was nothing like the takeaway we get, but far more tastier )t' .
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

All being well we are going to Leicester on Saturday to a particular street so Beerless can stock up on really good bhajis and samosas. I am not huge Indian food fan but that street even blows me way, the spices and things are amazing.

There is even a fast food style curry house.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Eck and I are delicate little flowers and are not able to eat Indian curries any more but we do like to stand outside and breathe in the aroma
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
manda

Post by manda »

No surpise Michael...I don't use takeaways very much ..only now and again...but although the Indian in Rangiora is lovely I can' make something for all of us for probably about a third of the price so it's a no brainer really )t'

I love trawling the internet for different recipes and I'll give anything a bash once. :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

What about Indian cakes Annie, can you manage those?
wendy

Post by wendy »

Ooo not our local one. The chef won Indian chef of the year last year.
The food is brilliant, although we don't have a take away as it is in walking distance.
Never before have I tried so many different dishes as I have with this place.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

To be honest we don’t very often have a ruby from the take it away and I agrre that quite a few can be greasy and not that pleasant. Our preferred curryhouse is well established and like so many others run by Bangladeshis… the food is very nice but nothing compared to what I have eaten at Diwali parties or around at a friend’s house. Actually I have some pretty good Oriental cookery books and have knocked up some fantastic scran; my preferred food at the moment is probably Thai although I love Szechuan and Cantonese and some of the Vietnamese speciality dishes are fantastic. Getting the fresh ingredients is always a bonus.
Bah Humbug
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

I agree with you, they are all rather 'samey' I used to live in Sri Lanka and avoided the tourist places to eat and went 'down the lane' to the local places. Ditto on our one visit to India. My conclusion over there is that vegetarian cooking is so much better than with meat - so innovative and thoroughly satisfying even if the room has strip lights and a bit of a dump.

... and the chicken used here is probably from Thailand and grown in hideous conditions.

We did, though, have an outstanding curry in St Albans the other week at 'The Indian Street Kitchen' Tiny room, tiny menu, small portion size and just a different league to the usual old greasy stuff. No white table clothes, no trolley, no after 8's etc. Superb!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Mrs B wrote:What about Indian cakes Annie, can you manage those?

Can't say as I have tried any Mrs B, what makes them different then ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I never get tired of Indian takeaways but we probably only have them once a year, if that. We have two very good ones near us (neither within easy walking distance) and both do very good Sunday buffets with loads of different dishes which is great because you get to try things you wouldn't normally try.

I appreciate that the food we think of as 'Indian' probably has no bearing on what 'proper' India food is but it's still good. One day I'll get to India and try it for real >fi<
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

We have a fab Indian restaurant who deliver their take aways. In five and a half years, we've not once had a bad meal from them )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Annie wrote:
Mrs B wrote:What about Indian cakes Annie, can you manage those?

Can't say as I have tried any Mrs B, what makes them different then ?

They are very sweet, I don't much like them but they do look gorgeous, lots of almond things and great to serve as petite fours when having a ladies get together
wendy

Post by wendy »

You are right Lucy. As you know we have many sikh friends and the food at their houses is out of this World.
But there is nothing like home cooking is there.
I used to cook quite a bit of Indian food, but it takes such a long time, usually, and we have the Surma down the road now. I don't bother
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning